Rode Thomas for the first time

2 miles of advanced / intermediate singletrack right in the heart of town!

Rode Thomas for the first time

Postby Doveski » Thu Oct 21, 2010 7:40 pm

So tonight i did a short 45 minute ride at Thomas park. It was really hard to see where the trails were with all the leaves. It was so so. prefer beverly and sugar but for a quick spin i suppose it will suffice. was experiencing some pretty bad wheel washout with how loose some of the dirt was. That me or does anyone else experience that at Thomas? It was a great place for people to practice their technical skills i suppose....

Lucas
Doveski

Re: Rode Thomas for the first time

Postby greenfast » Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:51 pm

I will compare Thomas to drinking a stout, either you like it or not, it is a great local trail system that I am glad is there as it is less then 5 minutes away by bike from my door. It is more technical, and yes with the leaves on the ground it makes riding there more difficult, if I get time I would like to get out there and lend a hand removing them, I am on-call for work this week so I won't be able till next Wednesday at the earliest. About the tire washing out, it is a different soil then the other local trails and traction can be an issue in some of the corners. The first time I rode it I was not sure, but after multiple trips out there this summer it has grown on me, and I like the challenges it provides.
greenfast

Postby Angy » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:33 pm

You know I'm all for some trail work! You'll have to pull me away from the raking leaves off the trail!!
HBA racing team pics seen here...
http://www.angysnoop.com/ (8/1/09-current)
http://picasaweb.google.com/KASKSnoop (2/18/08-7/19/09)
Angy

Postby defygiants » Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:41 pm

ya its like a 4 minute bike ride there for me so i love it.
defygiants

Postby greenfast » Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:42 am

Angy wrote:You know I'm all for some trail work! You'll have to pull me away from the raking leaves off the trail!!

Right now thats what is needed most is raking leaves, you and the boys could do that today if you get bored ;)
greenfast

Postby Doveski » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:23 am

Greenfast, yeah its close to me as well which is why I wanted to check it out after work before it got dark. I imagine it would be better if I actually knew where I was going haha. The leaves were just plain dangerous in some spots though. I definitely plan to go back and explore more. One other question for you. U did sugarbottom scramble? What do you do for training? Lookin for someone to do some more structured XC training with over the winter.
Doveski

Postby greenfast » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:13 pm

Maybe if we don't get a bunch of rain we can get together sometime next week and ride over there, hoping I can help out getting the leaves taken care of Wednesday or Thursday, any help would be sweet.

I did race Sugarbottom in the Cat 2 race. As far as training I do about 90% of it on my road bike just because you can't quite get the aerobic workout needed on a mountain bike. My training starts January 1st, I do rides on the rollers 2-3 nights a week, and as long the roads are clear and the temps aren't really low I will do 2-3 hours both days of the weekend outside, mainly building a base and doing that until March when I will start to switch over to some harder efforts getting prepped for Sylvan Island in April. After April I will start riding Beverly once a week just to stay on top of my off-road skills, but stay on the road 2 nights a week, and either racing on the weekends or doing longer rides, typically 3-4 hours, sometimes longer. It has worked well for me so far this year as I had a fairly successful MTB race season, and am having a really great Cyclocross race season so far so I probably won't change much next year, other then trying to go faster for a longer time.
greenfast

Postby Ken » Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:34 pm

I believe the Thomas trail steward will be retrieving the LAMBA leaf blower tonight, it'll make short work out of the leaves; how much nice fall weather graces us will be another matter.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:06 pm

Somebody blew Thomas...

Who is that earmuffed man?

OMG Becky, it is iLuvTechnical, Thomas Trail Steward!

Kawasaki leaf blower makes short work of autumn trail clearing...

Hey, these trails are off camber!
Ken
Site Admin

Postby greenfast » Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:04 pm

Nice work, will have to get out and ride it before more leaves fall.
greenfast

Postby Angy » Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:31 pm

So Ken did you help or just take pics?? :lol:
HBA racing team pics seen here...
http://www.angysnoop.com/ (8/1/09-current)
http://picasaweb.google.com/KASKSnoop (2/18/08-7/19/09)
Angy

Postby Ken » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:48 am

Hey, public relations for iLuvTechnical is a full time job! Actually, we had a master conservationist walk the trails to be certain they're ecologically sound, they are. The rest of us engaged in spirited debris removal whilst focusing on trail tread soil compaction...
Ken
Site Admin

Postby iLuvTechnical » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:56 pm

Doveski wrote:So tonight i did a short 45 minute ride at Thomas park. It was really hard to see where the trails were with all the leaves... was experiencing some pretty bad wheel washout with how loose some of the dirt was...

Lucas

Doveski,
You may have missed the Thread posted just prior to yours. I put it below in case you missed it. In short, I warned everyone that it was VERY fresh and was lose and lots of leaves.
Summit View underway

Post subject: Re: Summit View underway!
PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:40 pm

The Summit View section is NOW connected to the pre-existing section to add more mileage :D
It is a very sandy area and a good rain will help firm up the tread. Once it packs down, it should be sweet!
Get out and enjoy some sweet flow :mrgreen:

P.S. Lots of leaves on the old trail make it difficult to see the ground. I hope to get out there sometime this week or next wkend to clear it off for you all. If anyone would feel like beating me to it, please feel free :pray:

Anyway...
Since the time I put the Summit View Loop in, it has packed very nicely and is getting more and more fun! In fact, it is fun to ride in either direction :dance:
Most of the leaves are STILL removed and the trails are in great shape!
FYI, the MORE traffic you show the trails, the less the leaves become a factor. Some trail systems see so much traffic that the leaves never need to be blown or raked off :whistle:
SO, GO RIDE!
There is always someplace in the world dry enough for kick'n up a little dirt.
FIND IT AND LET THE REST OF US KNOW!
iLuvTechnical

Return to Thomas Park