Sac & Fox Singletrack - UPDATE

One team, one dream...

Sac & Fox Singletrack - UPDATE

Postby Ken » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:08 am

Whelp, like with most projects there have been setbacks and delays... but thanks to LAMBA volunteers and the City of Cedar Rapids, phase 1 of the Sac & Fox Singletrack is nearing completion and will hopefully be ready for use late fall and throughout the winter!

Loaded up!

There is a long history of vandalism and illegal dumping at the Cole St. trailhead and in the roller dam area. Rest assured the city, along with help from utility companies, has plans to not only curb this but drastically improve the area; as is evidenced by the installation of this robust gate!

Another really cool program occurring in this riparian area, as well as other natural spaces and parkland around CR, is the restoration of prairie which includes harvesting seed...

The city employee pictured here was super stoked to discuss the program with me...

The seed harvesting attachment was paid for with REAP monies is on loan to the city via partnership with Linn Co.

If you have ever shopped around and or purchased prairie seed, you know that is quite cost effective to invest in harvesting it yourself!

My city friend was so enthusiastic about the prairie program that he invited me to check out the rest of it, which takes place within city parks maintenance facilities...

The "sifter" - try saying it with a deep latino accent :)

A lot of seed!

Alright alright, onto the singletrack stuff...

Just before reaching the trail counters (donated and maintained by LCTA) I was reminded that the Sac & Fox multi use trail is open to equestrians. In fact, I believe that is the original purpose behind the donation / acquisition of the land of the trail corridor; so cyclists, be kind and use proper etiquette when crossing paths with fellow trail users.

Speaking of equestrians... the soils adjacent to the more significantly engineered multi-use trail are simply not up to the task of supporting the impacts of high weight / high powered trail use (i.e. equestrians, OHV, etc.)

While the natural surface singletrack is built and maintained for and by mt. bikers, it is open to human powered travel (i.e. hiking, trail running, cycling, skiing, snowshoeing, etc.) *note: this is NOT an off leash dog area :hand:

:? As mentioned before, vandalism unfortunately occurs in this area... which is a bummer because these sign posts are paid for and installed by LAMBA volunteers in their often quite limited free time :!:

Upon closer inspection :(

It didn't take long to notice signs of another common trail user, one that doesn't have the ability to pay attention to signs or follow rules like us humans :lol:

Aw man, comes with the territory I guess; at least it's foliage fed deer poo vs. dog, or human :snooty:

So here's a shot of the sensitive area that we, or any trail users for that matter, are to avoid. Why? Because sometimes specific natural spaces are best left that way for the benefit of the flora and fauna that reside there; I'll leave it at that :shhh:

The reroute around the pines has been flagged and roughly opened, hence useable by the more adventurous trail user...

Here's the multi-use trail bridge at the far end of the first section of Sac & Fox singletrack, it and or the concrete crossing just northwest are shared ways to cross the ephemeral drainage; adventure!

Unfortunately the the trail marker signpost at this end was also vandalized :x

If you made it this far, thanks for viewing / reading! Until next time.......

Stay tuned to LAMBA's social media outlets for notices about opportunities to help officially open this area :whistle:
Like us on Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/LinnAreaMTB/
Join the group for talk re: trails / rides - https://www.facebook.com/groups/672758972772312/
Our Twitter! https://twitter.com/LinnAreaMTB
Our Instagram! https://www.instagram.com/linnareamtb/
btw if you wish to get involved and help LAMBA in any way (like helping our social media be more "happening") or simply want to support the cause - JOIN!
Ken
Site Admin

Re: Sac & Fox Singletrack - UPDATE

Postby Ken » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:28 pm

Was reading through some blogs today and came across a recent post by IMBA re: interacting with equestrians, so yeah, check it out and keep in mind if / when crossing paths with our equestrian friends... https://www.imba.com/blog/marty-caivano ... ail-horses

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:23 pm

Putting in trail bridging is something I've always enjoyed. This particular span may look simple but was fairly involved...

The materials for the bridge were sourced in April and constructed off site in May of 2015. It was painted with recycled paint from our solid waste agency's swap shop, mixed for natural color and with sand for traction. It spent the summer and fall of 2015 in my yard as a practice drop...

After cleared to resume construction of the Sac & Fox singletrack, LAMBA scratched in a reroute and mowed open a rough corridor, leading to this project - a bridge to span an ephemeral drainage. With the new gates going in, reconnaissance was necessary to be certain we would have access to the work area, I had some help with this...

After the train passed it was good to see the city was well on it's was to completing the new gates as well as resurfacing and grading the parking area...

Unfortunately there has already been some vandalism since, which will hopefully subside over time; the plans for improvement in this area will greatly benefit the land and public IMHO...

If you fail to plan, right? Highly technical schematics here...

Loaded up and ready to go bright and frosty / early...

Day 1 we got the bridge on site and generally set into place...

Day 2, with a different set of helpers...

... we solidified the sills / abutments...

Since this bridge is in a low lying area where flooding is inevitable, it has been designed to break away and hopefully stay put relatively easy resetting...

Nothing terribly exciting here, but it all definitely comes with a sense of accomplishment and anticipation for our little mtb community to try it out.

See you on the trails.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:26 pm

After recent rains I decided to head back out to the Sac & Fox singletrack to see how the new bridge and my little "all conditions" theory were holding up :?:

Turns out pretty well so far; knock on wood :!:

Sac & Fox multi-use trail closed, how about the singletrack :?:

Holding up fine...

Check out the November - December / before - after...

While I'm not ready to go Lieutenant Dan with Mother Nature, my confidence is growing...
Ken
Site Admin

Postby whistlepig » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:08 pm

Lots of water. Dag, yo. Bridge looks stout, man. Thanks for all your work...
whistlepig

Postby iLuvTechnical » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:20 pm

whistlepig wrote:Lots of water. Dag, yo. Bridge looks stout, man. Thanks for all your work...

Ditto!!
There is always someplace in the world dry enough for kick'n up a little dirt.
FIND IT AND LET THE REST OF US KNOW!
iLuvTechnical

Postby Ken » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:48 am

So far so good with the Sac & Fox singletrack's planning, installation, tread establishment, rerouting, maintenance, etc.

Now that deep winter was upon us and we have had very little snow :roll:
Chatter on the social mediums indicated that the recent snow wasn't very fun to navigate via bicycle machines :cry: :violin:
It was high time for a winter singletrack "grooming experiment" of sorts :think:

Forecasts were showing close to 30 degree highs with nightly cool downs, so I worked on securing permish from city parks folk and posted up on the book of faces to see if anyone would be willing to navigate the singletrack with a snowmobile, no groomer to pull or anything like that, simply a pass through with a machine to mark and pack the trail. A friend of LAMBA replied, we set up a time, and we were off :dance:

I have no pictures of the "grooming experiment" as daylight was fading fast, and there were a ton of other snowmobiles in the area looking to poach the good old multi-use Sac & Fox trail, which is typical I think; glad new gates are going in and hope it helps :arrow: while being in the woods is cool for most everyone, the singletrack is a little too tight (that's the idea :naughty: ) to be inviting to snowmobilers as most of them appear to enjoy velocity and seek to travel closer to their maximums.

Anywho, didn't even ride the groomed trail then because I wanted to be sure to give the snow time to set up overnight. My schedule didn't allow for me to get out there for a few more days, but folks were hitting up and it appeared to be a popular decision that we can hopefully repeat in the future...

Here's the vid posted by Snoop, I'd suggest killing the sound and listening to your own music...

Ken
Site Admin

Return to Dirt Trail Planning / Advocacy