This would be so dumb

One team, one dream...

This would be so dumb

Postby Farmboy » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:03 am

If ya want it, ya gotta go get it yourself:

http://www.dirtragmag.com/printrag/acce ... avity-park

How cool would this be in Cedar Rapids? I'd be scared to death, but it would be awesome.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Re: This would be so dumb

Postby Ken » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:35 am

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Stumpy » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:21 am

Cool!
Stumpy

Postby Garasaki » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:11 pm

I have to admit, I really think that would be awesome. I particularly think it would be awesome "tucked into" beverly, so you ride some singletrack and suddenly come across a really cool gravity park/pump track/DJ whatever you wanna call it. Like back near the meadows or something.

Would be sooooooooooo much effort though... :shock:
Garasaki

Postby Ken » Sun Jun 10, 2012 5:00 pm

Seems things worthwhile are ever very easy, eh?

This language was in Cedar Rapid's application for Bicycle Friendly Community...

"Linn Area Mountain Bike Association is in the planning stages of the I-380 Free Ride Bike Park, similar to the I-5 Collonade Mountain Bike Park located under the I-5 freeway between Seattle's Eastlake and Capital Hill neighborhoods.
The 2-acre I-5 Collonade Mountain Bike Park contains over a mile of trail and has a wide range of Technical Trail Features (TTF). The park focuses on rider experience and progression of skills.
The I-380 Free Ride Bike Park in downtown Cedar Rapids will have beginner, intermediate and expert obstacles including tabletop jumps, rollers, banked turns, quarter pipes, drop-offs, and bridges. It will provide an opportunity for mountain bikers to ride in a very unique environment while at the same time, add diversity to existing types of recreational bicycle riding already found in Cedar Rapids."
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Stumpy » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:58 pm

That is crazy.
Stumpy

Postby jimithng23 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:20 pm

Ken wrote:Seems things worthwhile are ever very easy, eh?

This language was in Cedar Rapid's application for Bicycle Friendly Community...

"Linn Area Mountain Bike Association is in the planning stages of the I-380 Free Ride Bike Park, similar to the I-5 Collonade Mountain Bike Park located under the I-5 freeway between Seattle's Eastlake and Capital Hill neighborhoods.
The 2-acre I-5 Collonade Mountain Bike Park contains over a mile of trail and has a wide range of Technical Trail Features (TTF). The park focuses on rider experience and progression of skills.
The I-380 Free Ride Bike Park in downtown Cedar Rapids will have beginner, intermediate and expert obstacles including tabletop jumps, rollers, banked turns, quarter pipes, drop-offs, and bridges. It will provide an opportunity for mountain bikers to ride in a very unique environment while at the same time, add diversity to existing types of recreational bicycle riding already found in Cedar Rapids."

Have you received approval for the I-380 Free Ride Bike Park?

We've gained a large amount of momentum with our recent projects and we're looking to "build" upon that.

We'll chat more at the 'Fest...
jimithng23

Postby Ken » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:55 pm

Official permissions are not yet in place but like y'all, momentum is building. Won't be talking with city officials about much of this sort of thing until after RAGBRAI, they're swamped.

Speaking of bike parks, take the survey...... https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/vie ... E6MQ#gid=0

Recent AHTBM post re: just this sort of thing, I know some of you have been to Valmont...

AHTBM wrote:In other news, from former Bay Area resident and current fancy pants academic Dayton Crites, we get notice that he is putting his brain to use in ways other than trying to scam free drinks or act out revenge plots on his housemates;

“Now, first off Stevil – I recognize that you’re not a ‘hucker’ type. Frankly, neither am I, but I do feel like i’m flying when I get a wheel 3″ off the ground. And I love riding purpose built mountain bike trails, bike parks, pump tracks, and the like.

After riding Valmont (in boulder-where-they-take-cyclocross-seriously) bike park last summer, and seeing entire families, from 3 year olds on striders, kids on BMX flowing the jumps, dads on trail bikes grinning through the pump track, and moms leading daughters through skills loops, it struck me that nothing has the potential to expand the positive reach of off road riding and cycling in general like a well-designed mountain bike park;

So I thought I’d make my master’s thesis all about that. Hooray over-education. End result though, is teaming up with IMBA for a survey effort to understand bike park design/development & planning. If you’d like to share your thoughts and encourage your readers to share theirs, I’d be stoked to have a few more responses to add to the data pool.

When I’m done swimming in the data pool, and dry off with a trail ride or two, I’ll try to make a hip, cool infographic to share with you and your readers to share what I found. I know you like pictures too, so I attached a picture of site research (awesome) and desk work (necessary).

- Dayton

ps – I should probably give you the survey link & mention that it’s fun, and shouldn’t take the literate among us more than 5 minutes. We waste more time than that arguing about wheel sizes and gear ratios.

pps – They are both here or here“

I like to think that Dayton came to the right place with his inspiration, and certainly if anyone has thoughts on the matter, chime in on the comments section or get ahold of him directly.

Secondly, and most importantly… I hucked once. I think you’ve got me all wrong.
Ken
Site Admin

Return to Dirt Trail Planning / Advocacy