Postby NoyzSource » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:06 pm

Dirt Master Trails Plan Proposal

Goals:
Increase trail types
Increase trail usage
Encourage new and beginning bicycle riders
Bicycle Friendly Community recognition

Summary:
I propose a Trails Master Plan that encourages the use of sustainable dirt trails as an interim and permanent part of the trail system.

Actions:
Utilize the current Trails Master Plan that was recently developed by Shive-Hattery and based on the LCTA proposed trails. We will develop a Dirt Trails Master Plan that identifies the trails where a dirt trail can be installed in the interim and for long term use.

The Dirt Trails Master Plan will incorporate users of trails in different areas of the county as “Trail Stewards”. These stewards will use the Trails Master Plan to identify areas/locations for connector trails and recreational destinations. The goal of the connector trails is to link the future trails with neighborhoods, schools, parks, sidewalks, and businesses. The recreational destinations include skate parks, singletrack trails, BMX parks, bike skills areas, running tracks, and other trail heads. The trail stewards will also identify trails that are on the Trails Master Plan that are prime candidates for a Dirt Now, Pave Later trail. These trails are the base trail for bicyclists and runners that can establish the trail corridor, identify potential issues, and tweak and modify plans to make a better trail system sooner. These dirt trails will be used to supplement the immediate need for trails while waiting for the 1 - 20 year funding period that has been identified in the Trails Master Plan. Once the main trail is paved there could be singletrack dirt trails added along the bikeways depending on the size of easement and other factors like foliage coverage / type, etc..

Trail stewards will also be used to identify city to city connector trails. These trails will utilize the state ROW to build easy to ride, highly sustainable, low maintenance dirt trails away from the road. The faster, more serious road bike rider can stay on the road that hopefully has a fully paved shoulder but still use the amenities like benches or shady areas to rest. This helps minimize road rage and lower biker fear for new riders. These trails will be encouraging to inexperienced riders and families as well as hikers and runners. These trails will connect to destinations like the Signature Parks that are part of the Cedar Rapids Parks Master Plan. The trails will be cut to make absolutely minimal extra maintenance for the state or city with mowing. These trails will have a strict adherence to IMBA guidelines. City to city connector trails can be used for competitive and fun races in many modes of transportation. Maintenance on these trails can be done with an “Adopt-A-Trail” style of system.

Groups and organizations that would need to be involved include:
CV Running Association
Bicycle Advisory Committee
Linn County Trails Association
Linn Area Mt Bike Association
Cedar Rapids BMX
Cedar Rapids Parks and Recreation Department
Local skaters, skateboarders, and other outdoor activists.
Local snowmobilers.

The Cedar Rapids Trails Master Plan is providing a solid base to plan our future Bicycle Friendly Community. The Dirt Trails Master Plan builds on the CR Trails Master Plan to implement minimum effort and low cost trails sooner. I believe this plan will help us get even more recognition and opportunity for quality trail systems. It will also provide an additional layer of planning for more multi-use trails that can be used as part of a Bicycle Friendly Community application.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Re: DIRT TRAILS Master Plan

Postby NoyzSource » Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:07 pm

I need feedback on this so I can propose it to the Bicycle Advisory Committee. This is going to take some effort but I think we are up to it. I'm not just going to sit by and let it develop on its own.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby Farmboy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:54 am

I think you have a good write up here. Can't hurt to ask right?
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby Garasaki » Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:57 am

I think it may be necessary to expand on the maintanence impact.

Also, you might try playing up the revenue potentially generated by this system - from visitors coming to experience a premier dirt trail system and possible events.

I mean if I read that and I was the city, I'd sort of be like "hmmm, sounds like a lot of work and I'm not sure what I get out of it". (trying to put myself into someone else's shoes)
Garasaki

Postby Farmboy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:01 pm

good point. That's a point I always like to bring up to the Marion imagine8 group.
Farmboy

Postby dfleck » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:50 pm

'I can't read this dissertation now" (Too Lazy) :roll: My eyes hurt :roll:
MY response...http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1032122/manamana/
"I'm such a dork"! :?
dfleck

Postby DL1030 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:03 pm

so this isnt single track and it isnt a crushed limestone trail, but somewhere in the middle? Like a dirt sidewalk? ~24" wide

are stewards to take care of everything (flagging to bench cuts) or is the city going to have input on the details? Is training for the stewards going to be available?

awesome idea, would be sweet to have a bunch of connecting dirt trails around town!
Are you dumb and depressed, ride a mountain bike!
DL1030

Postby NoyzSource » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:21 pm

The goals don't have any mention of money or increased revenue so I generally avoided that subject. As a city it has been agreed that a Bicycle Friendly Community is desirable for a number of reasons. I don't think an "event" on these types of trails is as big of revenue generator as the increased exposure to young couples that would move here and contribute to the tax base (big flash vs. slow burn).

Like a dirt sidewalk? ~24" wide

Pretty much a dirt sidewalk. Incorporating skills to the side of the trail in appropriate places. Destinations with more skills items. Not straight. My son was the most excited on the paved trail when we were going around Mt. Trashmore because it was curvy. He was kind of bored on the straightaway.

are stewards to take care of everything (flagging to bench cuts) or is the city going to have input on the details? Is training for the stewards going to be available?

those are details that need hashed out. If I get a plan together that identifies and gets approval for 30 miles of trails do you think IMBA will come back for training?

This will not be a small or even a big task. This is a huge undertaking. It will require getting together people from all the groups listed and not getting into nit picky details in a large group. Trying to coordinate the ideas of the multiple groups listed plus some I don't even know about yet. The trail stewards would be similar to our Beverly trail crew. Small and nimble but feeding into the larger group.

Please put your inputs to the proposal in these comments exactly how you would word them. I may include them.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby hojong » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:34 pm

there is movement for a skatepark at guthridge park in hiawatha http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gi ... 834&ref=ts
hojong

Postby Farmboy » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:34 pm

hojong wrote:there is movement for a skatepark at guthridge park in hiawatha http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gi ... 834&ref=ts

Good. Maybe I won't have to kick those vagrants off of my docks anymore. "Go home and play video games, smoke dope, and get fat why don't ya!!! Why would you want to be outside doing something active when it's summer time when you could be at home learning to enjoy life as a lazy sloth????"

Seriously though, some guys here like yelling at them. I avoid it at all costs. And when I have to talk to them I tell them to come back at 6. No one is usually around by then :whistle:
Farmboy

Postby Garasaki » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:43 pm

NoyzSource wrote:The goals don't have any mention of money or increased revenue so I generally avoided that subject. As a city it has been agreed that a Bicycle Friendly Community is desirable for a number of reasons. I don't think an "event" on these types of trails is as big of revenue generator as the increased exposure to young couples that would move here and contribute to the tax base (big flash vs. slow burn).

Expand on that then. Go into detail about how this plan will help build a bicycle friendly community. Explain how extensive the world of non-road biking is. Or maybe I'll try to dig up some stats regarding that for you to include in the comments.

Your proposal does a great job of the "what" and does a pretty good job with the "how" (especially considering it's pretty much unreasonable to have a good grasp on "how" at this point). You also do a good job with "who" although maybe you could try to expand on that (perhaps including some actual numbers of LAMBA and ICCOR membership). You even hit on "when" a little.

There's just not much on "why".
Garasaki

Postby DL1030 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:47 pm

Is the city's goal that the dirt trails be laid where the proposed paved trail will run exactly? Or do you get leeway with the dirt trail to move it around a bit? \ some lines the city used for the CVNT would ONLY work if it was paved. waiting 5 years to pave a fall line trail would be disastrous.

is the city going to help? in any form? mow, schwag, food/beer, break on property taxes maybe, yes!? seems like you are offering up a lot (30 miles!!) and they still havnt removed that damn trash pile.
Are you dumb and depressed, ride a mountain bike!
DL1030

Postby NoyzSource » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:06 pm

DL1030 wrote:Is the city's goal that the dirt trails be laid where the proposed paved trail will run exactly? Or do you get leeway with the dirt trail to move it around a bit?

The city does not have ANY plans for dirt. Nothing. They are relatively content to wait up to 20 years to get their paved/crushed stone trails installed.

Our plan is to get dirt installed now everywhere we can. Ideally in locations where a paved trail will be later just to "claim" the corridor and get a jump on usage. Bring in some riders and get the mindset that there is a trail "there" available for use.

is the city going to help? in any form? mow, schwag, food/beer, break on property taxes maybe, yes!? seems like you are offering up a lot (30 miles!!) and they still havnt removed that damn trash pile.

More details. The details are to be decided by the "trail stewards" not the master plan. Length and location of connector trails and other destinations is unknown.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby NoyzSource » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:10 pm

hojong wrote:there is movement for a skatepark at guthridge park in hiawatha http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gi ... 834&ref=ts

Unfortunately that park is on Boyson Rd and the trail by there on the CR Master Trail Plan is 10-20 years away. Precisely why this proposal is in my head. What can we do right now to connect these destinations? Where are other groups looking at destinations and how do we connect to them? Chicken/Egg - trail first or destination first? Good collaboration could mean they get there at the same time.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby Garasaki » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:14 pm

Here's a quick bit

http://www.nsga.org/files/public/2009_P ... 100521.pdf

You could compare the number of bicycle riding to that of inline roller skating, skateboarding, and mountain biking. Maybe also cross country skiing and snowshoing.

Here's also some stats on "trail running"

http://www.outdoorfoundation.org/resear ... nning.html

I guess if I were writting that, I would try to highlight the groups that are largely left out of the current trails plan:

BMX
Mountain Bikes
Skateboarding
Inline Skating
Trail running

Adding singletrack and "skills" parks covers all those bases. Here's a some rambling I did:

A Bicycle Friendly Community is defined as a community that provides safe accommodation for cycling and encouraging people to bike for transportation and recreation. While the current trails plan does a wonderful job of providing increased transportation options, there is also an opportunity to provide additional accomodation for recreational cyclists.

Many people bicycle on the road or paved trails for recreation, but there is a large section of the population *** which participates in offroad cycling for recreation. Providing singletrack offroad trails and skills parks would accomidate people who are more interested in mountain biking and BMX biking, as well as those people who participate in skateboarding, inline skating, trail running, snowshoing, and cross country skiing. This would also encourage more people to participate in these activities.

By integrating these additional opportunities into the current trail masterplan, this area could have a vast recreational system that is entirely accessible without driving a car or riding a bike on the road. It would help make this trail system a regional destination by all bicyclists of all types.

***If there is a stat hound out there who can come up with the number of onroad vs offroad (MTB and BMX) cyclists, and even skateboarders, trail runnings, inline skiers, yada yada, to throw in at this point, that would be awesome.
Garasaki

Postby NoyzSource » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:51 pm

Hoover Trail contract awarded for $300K for 1.1 mile stretch of black asphalt.

Dirt Singletrack is $15k - $25k per mile. This sounds like a very good initial option to get some trails.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Return to Dirt Trail Planning / Advocacy