Fat Sheba Goes on Diet

Wrenching, bike maintenance, even trail work; discuss gear and tools here...

Fat Sheba Goes on Diet

Postby OnlyInAJeep » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:55 am

Shaved a half pound off a FatSheba rim by drilling out 1-3/8" holes. 1140 to 940 grams. Used a hand drill with a hole saw, kind of a pain in the butt, a drill press woulda been nice. 82mm wide a lighter than LargeMarge. Waiting for spokes....

OnlyInAJeep

Re: Fat Sheba Goes on Diet

Postby Farmboy » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:26 pm

Isn't that kinda like a great big fat guy ordering a double whopper value meal with a diet coke?

That's pretty cool though. Next time you need a drill press, let me know. We got's a few of those around here.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby OnlyInAJeep » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:39 am

Front wheel is done :) Surly SS Disc axle, double butted Sapim spokes. Dan's Comp has awesome prices on Sapim spokes, forty cents each for double butted stainless, with nipples! The red thingy on the axle is a Pugsley Wheelbuidling Tool, used for getting the correct dish on wheels built for Pugleys. Hopefully I'll get a tyre mounted tomorrow and see how much 17mm wheel width difference over LargeMarge translates to tyre width.
OnlyInAJeep

Postby OnlyInAJeep » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:16 pm

Definitely fatter, ain't measured 'em but had to squeeze the tyre betwixt the brake bosses to get her in, Marge dropped out no problems. Overall weight was 20grams lighter than LargeMarge...sheba is lighter, cheaper and wider....win,win,win.

OnlyInAJeep

Postby NoyzSource » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:36 pm

I want to know how long it will take you to pump up the tire with that little hand pump if you get a flat. :)
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby OnlyInAJeep » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:03 pm

Yeah, that's gonna suck, not looking forward that, the activity should keep me warmed though :) I have an AirBob for home use.

Steve
OnlyInAJeep

Return to Tooltime