studded tires and rims

Wrenching, bike maintenance, even trail work; discuss gear and tools here...

studded tires and rims

Postby NoyzSource » Sat Dec 19, 2009 5:10 pm

Is it better to just switch the tires back and forth or get a separate set of rims to hold the tires and switch the whole thing out?

I've got my 26" and 29" bike. My 26" is my commuter now.

I'm tempted to get studded tires for the 29" and ride it as a commuter when I'm not comfortable with the ice on the road/trail to work. Then I can run studded tires for snow and fun but also have it available for commuting. If I get studded tires for the 26" then I won't have studded tires for the fun rides.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Re: studded tires and rims

Postby greenfast » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:08 pm

Easiest would be to have a second set or wheels. You could do it by just swapping tires, but I have a feeling that by the 4th or 5th you will wish you had that second wheelset.
greenfast

Postby dmsndogr » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:15 am

I get by with just switching. but I switch to studded when the snowfalls, then down't switch back until I'm sure the snow won't fall again. if I had a second wheelset, I probably would only have the studs on when necessary to save the wear on the studs.
dmsndogr

Postby Rage » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:55 am

NoyzSource wrote:I'm tempted to get studded tires for the 29" and ride it as a commuter when I'm not comfortable with the ice on the road/trail to work. Then I can run studded tires for snow and fun but also have it available for commuting. If I get studded tires for the 26" then I won't have studded tires for the fun rides.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I did just the opposite, have studded tires on a 26" bike (just put the studded tires on a couple weeks ago, they'll come off in the spring) instead of the 29. I think the 29 makes a better snow bike so I'm getting ready to make another set of studded tires, only this time for the 29 instead of 26.

Keith is right, changing tires over gets old pretty quick - sheet metal screw studs bite!

Rg.
Mean people suck.
Rage

Postby NoyzSource » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:43 am

I have been gifted studded tires for my bike. I just need to choose them. Mom called the LBS here and they quoted $100/ea for an unknown brand (she couldn't remember). The Peter White cycles website shows the Nokian 40-622 700c Hakkapeliitta W240 (29er-622mm) as a good choice.

Any advice on a studded tire for a 29'r for all around riding (neighborhood, singletrack, commuting)?
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby Rage » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:51 am

NoyzSource wrote:Any advice on a studded tire for a 29'r for all around riding (neighborhood, singletrack, commuting)?

For $100 each, they were almost certainly quoting Nokians. If someone were to gift me the studded tires of my choice it would be a no brainer - Nokians hands down. I'd go for the Extreme 294, but it would mostly be for singletrack for me. Since you're after a more all-rounder, I think the W240 would be a better bet.

Make sure to post up what you get and what you think about them!
Mean people suck.
Rage

Postby futon » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:32 pm

http://www.biketiresdirect.com/pscss7/s ... %29/pp.htm

is what I have, that site has no 29er studded available that I can see. Mine are 700x38 and barely fit on my cx/commuter with fenders, some modification was necessary.

I would rather have 29er wider tires for extreme conditions. I had a difficult time climbing on these when I was at Beverly last winter, when two "studs" showed up on 29ers without studs and were able to climb better.

All Schwalbe spikes have an extremely hardwearing tungsten-carbide core with a base of fully galvanized steel

and I like the reflective 3m type stripe on the schwalbe.
futon

Postby NoyzSource » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:02 pm

Found out it is the Nokian Extreme 294. 29x2.1 but it is very aggressive tread and spikes. That might kill the opportunity for me.

There are 45mm versions but that still seems too commuter oriented and won't help me on the trails. The Extreme 294 sounds great for the trails but would be crazy on the dry patches.

In a vanity related way, I'm afraid the 45mm would look wimpy on my Fisher.

I can't find a slightly less studded 2.1ish for the bike.

Dang.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby Farmboy » Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:33 pm

To much is better than to little. When I said that 240 would be overkill, I meant for commuting. Studs on dirt aren't nearly as bad as studs on dry pavement. Riding studs on dry pavement is an experience that makes you look for something slippery or snowy to ride through.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby Byknphil » Thu Dec 31, 2009 7:10 am

I had a pair of Nokia 41mm put on my X-cal last winter. It makes the bike look fast. I only put a couple rides on them and went back to stock tires for gravel. If your lookin for a pair of 41's guess I've got a pair for sale.
Byknphil

Postby NoyzSource » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:59 pm

Put in an order for Nokian Gazza Extreme 294s. We'll find out more about them next week.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Return to Tooltime