Disc brake stopping power

Wrenching, bike maintenance, even trail work; discuss gear and tools here...

Disc brake stopping power

Postby MinigunSniper » Sat Apr 25, 2009 5:31 am

I'm running/rocking a 2006 Juicy 7 hydraulic front brake, and I've noticed that even squeezing the lever as hard as I can I can't get the front wheel anywhere near lock-up. I know locking up the front wheel is generally a bad idea, but shouldn't a hydraulic system have more power than this?
MinigunSniper

Postby Ken » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:13 am

Yes, but there are potentially two things working against you...

1 - 29er wheels have more inertia.
2 - The pads may be new and not 100% conditioned.

Not much you can / should do about #1 other than changing wheel and or rotor size. I use Avid mechanicals with 185mm rotors, lots of stopping power. Needless to say, I'm a fan of the medium sized rotors.

In regards to #2... don't step in it :lol: I suggest going to a steep hill and doing intervals, applying the brakes (especially front) in sudden / strong bursts (not riding them). Don't know for sure if it works, but I've heard this will help speed the conditioning of the pads.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby MinigunSniper » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:27 am

Thanks Ken, I'll have to try #2 the next time I bike home from Mt. Mercy.
MinigunSniper

Postby Farmboy » Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:25 pm

Minigun,

I ride the Juicy's with 160 rotors on a 29" wheel. I can assure you that you have enough rotor to stop your bike. I think your problem is something entirely different than what master Ken might.

A couple of questions:

1. Are you able to squeeze your lever to the point that it hits the handlebar?

Or if not

2. Is your break engaging, but just not stopping?

If you can squeeze a hydro lever to the point where it hits the bar, you have one of two problems. Either you have no fluid in your system, or your modulation is set up wrong. You have a modulation adjustment on Juicy Seven's that you can fiddle with. My Juicy Five's are the same as a Juicy Seven minus the modulation adjustment. If you have attempted to let any fluid escape by removing any of the resovoir or caliper bolts, you probably let all the fluid out. It doesn't hold as much fluid as you might think.

If You have by any chance gotten any disc brake fluid on your pads, they're shot and won't stop anything.
Farmboy

Postby MinigunSniper » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:28 am

Farmboy, the lever won't quite touch the grip, and I haven't messed with the internals because I don't have a bleed kit. The bike will stop, it just takes a bit longer than other bikes I've used. I just adjusted the modulator to move the pads in a bit, so we'll see how well it works on my way home from work.
MinigunSniper

Return to Tooltime