Wrenching, bike maintenance, even trail work; discuss gear and tools here...


Postby urbanbigfoot » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:51 pm

I'm thinking about building up a Niner, but don't have any experience in this area. Maintenance is one thing, but building up a bike, well that's another thing altogether. Anyway, I found a killer deal on a Niner Jet9 RDO Carbon frame and thought I might give it a whirl. If anyone has any recommendations or stories to share, please let me know.
When I was a kid, I rode bikes. Now I ride bikes and act like a kid. Some things never change.
User avatar
Posts: 401
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:51 pm
Location: Marion, Iowa

Re: Build-a-Bike

Postby Rage » Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:26 pm

Buy it!

4 Niners in this house. Good stuff.

Mean people suck.
User avatar
Posts: 305
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:24 pm
Location: Iowa City / Quad Cities

Re: Build-a-Bike

Postby dgw2jr » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:03 am

Know these things about your frame.

BB shell width
Headset type
Derailleur hanger type
brake mount style

There's more I'm sure but it's late. Armed with this info, you can prevent multiple trips to the LBS and everyone involved keeps their sanity! :grin:
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:25 pm
Location: Davenport, IA

Re: Build-a-Bike

Postby jnecessary » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:33 am

Building is fun and you'll learn a lot along the way. There is info either on the Park Tool site or YouTube for pretty much every puzzle you run into. Get a torque wrench for working on a carbon bike for sure.
User avatar
Posts: 131
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:30 pm
Location: Brevard, NC

Re: Build-a-Bike

Postby Garasaki » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:33 am

It's not that hard. Particularly if you have a few weeks, cause you're bound to forget some small parts that will cause you some delays.

The most difficult things involve the "press fit" type parts, like the headset. In fact, the headset might be the only hard part.

Actually, getting your derailers set up is the worst part. Excellent motivation to go single speed, if you ask me.

After the frame, your biggest expense will be your fork. You won't be able to reuse one you have sitting around (assuming you don't have any other 29 wheel bikes). You'll need the correct fork (find out what axle to crown dimension your frame is built for, and buy the best fork you can afford for that size, +/- 10 mm - oh you also need to match fork steerer tube to the frame, although you may have some options in headsets such as a 1 1/8 fork can work in a 1 1/2 headtube with the right headset, but NOT the other way around!!!).

How to determine the best fork...uh, well good luck. Don't rule out companies not named Fox...

After the fork, the biggest expense is the wheels. Well, I guess that depends on your budget. But the key to wheels is the front hub has to match your fork (9mm, 15mm, or 20mm axle). You can ignore the back hub dimensions and get those right about 98% of the time - I'm not even sure 29ers stray into different hub dimensions. There are some variations for 26" wheels, basically wider for the all mountain/freeride market.

Anyway, a stand is incredibly helpful, even a homemade one out of 2x4s like mine is. You don't need much for tools even. Well you'll need a couple specialized items, bottom bracket cup wrench, cassette chain wrench, maybe a crown race installer thingie (I use a ghetto version with a couple wood clamps), headset press (don't think my method of "find the biggest hammer you can" would be appropriate for a carbon frame)...can't think of anything else right at the comment.

LBS will do partial install if you are comfortable with 98% of the work, they are willing to do the other 2%. You might even be money ahead if you need a special tool to do something.

So yeah sizes you need from your frame:
BB shell width/style
Headset requirements
Fork requirements
Seattube diameter

If you are doing this to save money, good luck. The small parts add up quick. If you are doing it to get the bike you REALLY want, you are on the right track!

I built my Banshee up in 2 easy nights of work (after all 3 kids were put to bed). It's my second frame up build.

Here's my bare frame:


After 1 night of work (missing cranks, pedals, etc)


After night 2, ready to ride


Posts: 211
Joined: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:28 pm
Location: Lisbon, IA

Re: Build-a-Bike

Postby urbanbigfoot » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:35 pm

Great stuff guys! I purchased the frame, so now I'm starting to shop around for parts. I don't expect to save much money, but saving on the cost of the frame, I can splurge on other upgrades. I think this will be a great project and hopefully I'll learn a thing or two about assembling bikes.
When I was a kid, I rode bikes. Now I ride bikes and act like a kid. Some things never change.
User avatar
Posts: 401
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:51 pm
Location: Marion, Iowa

Return to Tooltime

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest