Bottom Bracket question...

Wrenching, bike maintenance, even trail work; discuss gear and tools here...

Postby Bear » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:13 pm

Help me I'm technically illiterate......

Ok so here is the deal, I have a Kona Kahuna which has a 73mm FSA MegaExo bottom bracket. This Kahuna also has some Gorilla Glue on a pretty beastly crack in the top tube so obviously a new frame is what I need. I would like to get a steel frame so that hopefully my next frame will last more then a few months :/ ("The sword is too heavy!" and the viking says, "Then grow stronger!") The problem is the frame I am looking (Vassago Bandersnatch) takes a 68mm BB shell. I looked up the FSA MegaExo and it says it's a 68 or a 73mm. Several over BB seemed to say the same thing, both 68 and 73mm. So do they ship with some adapter part that my transplant won't have or could I just have them swapped over?
Bear

Postby Rage » Thu Jun 21, 2012 1:18 pm

BBs use spacers for different widths these days. 68 uses 2, 73 uses 1 typically. Chain guide, etc would go in place of last spacer.

Rg.
Mean people suck.
Rage

Re: Bottom Bracket question...

Postby Bear » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:10 pm

OK so I would work to reuse it then, correct? There are just currently 2 spacers in it, and to put it in a 68mm frame one of those spacers would just be left off?
Bear

Postby Rage » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:20 pm

Just the opposite - since the bottom bracket shell is narrower by 5mm, you'll need another spacer. Typically see 2 on the drive side and 1 on the non-drive side with 68 shell, but it depends on the BB as they vary.

That's the nice thing about standards: there are so many to choose from.

Rg.
Mean people suck.
Rage

Postby Bear » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:08 pm

Ok I see what you're saying now; like I said I'm technically illiterate so it took me that second explanation. Thanks for that!
Bear

Postby Garasaki » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:50 am

You can buy the spacers. I think Jenson sells em (or pricepoint). They cost like 2 bucks.
Garasaki

Return to Tooltime