Hoes!

Wrenching, bike maintenance, even trail work; discuss gear and tools here...

Hoes!

Postby Ken » Tue May 08, 2012 9:25 am

Remember the Great Mcleod Purchase of 2011? That, was, awesome; thanks Noyzsource for coordinating!

I don't want to bag on mcleods, they're amazing! However, the word on the streets, err... trails, is that there's another tool out there that slices dirt like a hot knife in butter... it's the, wait for it... Rogue Hoe. Click HERE to learn more... http://www.roguehoe.com/trailbuilding/t ... lding.html

FORC, ICORR, and LAMBA have played around with these things for a while now and are possibly looking to order more; no doubt individual purchases can occur as well. If you are interested, and serious, please reply to this thread or email me... knbrkr@gmail.com which model(s) you would like. There will be shipping costs, but there will also be bulk and IMBA Chapter / Club discounts... it is my best guess that the price will be very near the costs listed here... http://www.roguehoe.com/trailbuilding/t ... lding.html

This order will be placed Wednesday, May 23rd.

Bye.
Ken
Site Admin

Re: Hoes!

Postby urbanbigfoot » Wed May 09, 2012 3:11 pm

Sign me up for one of the 70HR54! Which leads me to...anyone interested in a lightly used Mcleod?
When I was a kid, I rode bikes. Now I ride bikes and act like a kid. Some things never change.
urbanbigfoot

Postby Ken » Thu May 10, 2012 12:13 pm

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Tue May 15, 2012 8:12 am

4 different styles of Rogue Hoe will be on demo / available for use at this weekend's Squaw Creek trail work session, 10am+ May 19th.

Here is the IMBA member discount pricing... http://www.imba.com/sites/default/files ... G_2012.pdf

If you want one let me know soon as we'll be placing the order next week!

Sent this review to Rogue Hoe today...

Ken wrote:Hello!

The Linn Area Mt. Bike Association (LAMBA) - http://LAMBAonline.org/ has been able to test out a few different Rogue Hoe tools (F55A, FB55H, 70HRH, 80RH) in the building of singletrack trails in the moderately soft soils of our neck of the Midwest.

The primary trial building tool used by our group is the mcleod, which is an excellent multi-faceted tool for what we do; in fact, the best tool we have used until the discovery of the Rogue Hoe. The weight, shape, and sharpness of the various Rogue Hoes has proven to be ideal for the proper shaping of trails. Using a Rogue Hoe has resulted in more efficient and proper trail construction by our volunteers!

If we were to give any constructive feedback about the hoes, it would be to expand upon handle material and length options, such as fiberglass for all hoes in various lengths; different length wooden handles would also be advisable.

Attached are a few pictures of Rogue Hoes in use and below is a video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGzUYzsw-Z0

If you have further questions or comments for us, please do not hesitate to get in touch. We plan to demo and further test the hoes this weekend and to place an initial order for various hoes the week of May 21st.

Thanks!
Ken
Site Admin

Postby jimithng23 » Thu May 17, 2012 12:08 pm

The Rogue Hoe 70H is solely responsible for nearly all trail built by FORC in the last 2-3 years. It truly is an amazing tool. I actually see no need for the models with the rake on the opposite side, but to each their own.

Make sure to let Phyllis know that you (LAMBA) and FORC are basically affiliated and she'll take great care of you. They are once again sponsoring the Midwest MTB Fest this June so there will be plenty of hoes available for demo, display, and you may even be able to purchase as well.

Glad LAMBA has "seen the light" when it comes to effective tools for trailbuilding!
jimithng23

Postby Ken » Fri May 18, 2012 2:35 pm

Ken
Site Admin

Postby jimithng23 » Wed May 30, 2012 2:33 pm

^ that. is. awesome.

FYI, the famed 70H is now shipping with a sheath!
jimithng23

Postby Cannonball » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:36 pm

I got the 70HR54 thinking I would never use the rake but I gotta say it does come in handy at times. Its the best all around tool IMO. I will say this though, stay away from rocks or old foundations! The hardened steel on the rogue hoes tends to chip easily. If you are in rocky soil, its prob best to use a pulaski or mcleod, something with softer steel. Don't throw away the other tools just yet.
Cannonball

Return to Tooltime