Going Tubeless

Wrenching, bike maintenance, even trail work; discuss gear and tools here...

Going Tubeless

Postby urbanbigfoot » Tue May 03, 2011 3:27 pm

I'm finally taking the leap and switching my ride over to tubeless tonight. It all looks very straight-forward...remove the tubes, add removable core presta valve-stems, put the tire back on the rim, then inject Stans into the valve-stems. So, are there any little "gotchas" I need to worry about? Any experienced tubeless veterans out there that can bestow a little wisdom?
When I was a kid, I rode bikes. Now I ride bikes and act like a kid. Some things never change.
urbanbigfoot

Re: Going Tubeless

Postby jnecessary » Tue May 03, 2011 3:34 pm

urbanbigfoot wrote:I'm finally taking the leap and switching my ride over to tubeless tonight. It all looks very straight-forward...remove the tubes, add removable core presta valve-stems, put the tire back on the rim, then inject Stans into the valve-stems. So, are there any little "gotchas" I need to worry about? Any experienced tubeless veterans out there that can bestow a little wisdom?

Are the rims tubeless ready (not sure if it matters)? I've heard you need a rim strip, either Gorilla Tape or Stans Yellow Tape are supposed to work well.
jnecessary

Postby urbanbigfoot » Wed May 04, 2011 8:14 am

Yep, I have a great set of wheels and all the prep materials I needed. Tubeless was actually quite easy, but I had one issue...a puncture in one of my wheels...right on the sidewall. So now I have to order a new wheel for the front. The back wheel works great, and was quite easy to setup.
When I was a kid, I rode bikes. Now I ride bikes and act like a kid. Some things never change.
urbanbigfoot

Postby jnecessary » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:29 pm

I set up my stock rear Maxxis Crossmark on the stock Giant S-XC 29er rim tonight. EZ-PZ. Lots of soapy water and a shot from a CO2 inflator filled it up no problem. I used a single strip of 1" Gorilla tape and a Stan's valve and a couple scoops of Stan's goop.

I was expecting it not to work at all because I've heard of tons of problems getting the non UST Crossmarks to mount but it went well. Bummer I wasted a CO2 testing it dry and that worked fine, but I didn't have an injector or valve stem remover so I had to deflate, unseat the bead and dump the goop in and use my last CO2.

If I had a compressor it would be cheap and easy :) We'll see if it holds air, seems to be fine, gonna order a beefier front tire and mount it up soon. Probably an Ardent unless I hear of something better.
jnecessary

Postby jnecessary » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:10 pm

Crossmark/Ardent seem to make a nice pair. Tubeless conversion went easy, used a CO2 for the rear old Crossmark and got a new 2.4 Ardent to seat up with one strip of gorilla tape, and a floor pump. Good stuff.

I will laugh at thorns now!
jnecessary

Return to Tooltime