Best Tire for Beverly and SB

Wrenching, bike maintenance, even trail work; discuss gear and tools here...

Best Tire for Beverly and SB

Postby fisher2 » Fri May 07, 2010 10:36 am

What brand and tread pattern is everybody else running on their bikes?
fisher2

Re: Best Tire for Beverly and SB

Postby D Roberts » Fri May 07, 2010 4:56 pm

Hutchinson Python. Rolls fast, lightweight, suprising traction and corners wonderfully. Sugarbottom...well I think my road tires would suffice. Who cares go to Beverly.
D Roberts

Postby Ken » Sat May 08, 2010 8:00 am

Running a variety out there and all seem to work well:

Maxxis Holy Roller...

Conti Mountain King...

Panaracer Cinder...
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Jaxon » Sat May 08, 2010 8:13 am

I've stuck with Kenda tires so far. The Small Block Eight is a fast rolling tire, but has less traction for cornering or climbing out of the saddle, and clogs with mud easily. The Nevegal is slower rolling but has huge traction and resists mud sticking. The Karma is a nice compromise in speed, traction and mud performance between those extremes.
Jaxon

Postby futon » Sat May 08, 2010 11:26 am

My tires closely resemble the Conti Mountain King above, they are Michelin.
I chose those because I do ride on the road to get to Beverly, I originally bought them for sugar bottom, and loved them there. Rolling resistance is low with good control. The only thing I didn't like, was when new trails are built at Beverly, I got more flats, I think from all the open space in between the blocks allowed the little sticks in the ground to poke through easier, I have not had that problem in the last year.
futon

Postby greenfast » Sat May 08, 2010 12:46 pm

My 29er came with Conti Race Kings Image

I love these tires, very low rolling resistance, they corner well, and haven't had any issues in the few muddy races we have done, including climbing in Decorah, they did shed the mud really well.

I used to ride Ritchey Speed Max tires on my 26" bike, and if they ever make a 29" version I will be picking them up.
greenfast

Postby NoyzSource » Sat May 08, 2010 2:44 pm

Those 2.2" measure 1.75" though by the looks of your bike compared to my 2.1". I don't understand why they look so narrow on your lefty.

Oh yeah I did it. I compared widths!
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby greenfast » Sat May 08, 2010 6:45 pm

NoyzSource wrote:Those 2.2" measure 1.75" though by the looks of your bike compared to my 2.1". I don't understand why they look so narrow on your lefty.

Oh yeah I did it. I compared widths!

Thats fine about the width, at least mine gets ridden more :romance-threesome: Couldn't find the normal humping one, so this will do And yes I am talking about bikes :wink:
greenfast

Postby KSnyder » Sun May 09, 2010 3:51 pm

I'm currently riding Bontrager XDX's on my bike and have been pretty impressed with the low rolling resistance. They are a lower profile tread, but I haven't had any traction issues since I run tubeless.
KSnyder

Postby hardtail » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:37 pm

My favorites so far have been Maxxis Ignitors. I am currently running Rocket Rons, but I am thinking about putting a quicker rolling tire on the back like a Small block 8 or Racing Ralph. One thing about our trails is that big knobs are not needed IMO.
hardtail

Postby musthavemuzk » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:24 am

i forget what my 06 hardrock pro came with but since i rode mainly concrete and tar at the time they didnt last all that long. when they were done i replaced them with specialized hemisphere armadillo. mainly due to what i was riding and i wanted alot less rolling resistance.
they have worked great for that and have lasted alot longer and still have alot of life left in them. however i noticed the last time i was out at Beverly with NoyzSource i definitely didnt have a tire for there. in fact the treads are still packed with mud and in some spots i felt i was losing grip. granted i dont have the seat time alot of you do, but i dont think they are suited for Beverly.
i havent had this issue, but here is the tire i have
http://outsideforever.com/gear-reviews/ ... ycle-tire/

i am definitely going to take note of what others use and see about getting me some new tires
musthavemuzk

Return to Tooltime