Some photos from the frozen river

Post riding multimedia here...

Some photos from the frozen river

Postby crrimson » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:40 pm

Thanks to Chris George's winter ride (viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2099), I was lucky enough to discover some fascinating stuff going on with the ice on the Cedar (at least it was to me), so I came back the day after our ride and took some photos.

Not really riding related, but I am really liking them, so I thought I'd share:

Here's are a few:

More on photobucket:
Gallery
http://s528.beta.photobucket.com/user/crrimson/library/Ice%20Galaxies
crrimson

Re: Some photos from the frozen river

Postby Ken » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:26 pm

Ken
Site Admin

Postby bigfish » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:03 pm

I wish I wasn't such a puss about ice. I watched a Lucas Brunelle clip with him and another guy riding a frozen river and it looked like so much fun. Sadly I thought I had manned up enough to go on the ice ride, and when I mentioned it to my wife, she stood up, muttered something about an idiot and left the room. So that was that. How was the ride? Can you stay up most of the time with studs?
Never stop moving forward- Mark
bigfish

Postby crrimson » Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:45 am

I was a puss to start too, I went out the day before & checked out the ice, to make sure it was really thick.

I still think it is a stupid idea in the scheme of things, because falling through ice into a river in Iowa is the last thing I want to ever do. But after looking at the ice, I could tell it was very thick. It was fun, and a new experience for me. With studs you're good to go, as long as you turn slowly you won't fall, I fell a few times playing around.

Without studs you can expect to fall a lot.
crrimson

Postby steveo » Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:38 am

I tried it without studs. I really didn't want to make studded tires if I didn't like to do it so I thought I could try it without. If you stay on the snow covered ice you are good. Once you get on the ice you cannot do anything. once you try to turn or pedal you will fall. I had a issue with my tube that shortened my day but still it was fun. I would do it again with studs for sure. It is a little scary being on a frozen river as Adam mentioned. And when the ice settles and and you can hear the ice pop as you ride over it it can be a bit scary. But still fun!!
steveo

Postby bigfish » Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:19 am

Never stop moving forward- Mark
bigfish

Return to Photo / Video Gallery