Road Trip! A whole lotta NW Arkansas and a little KC

Post riding multimedia here...

Road Trip! A whole lotta NW Arkansas and a little KC

Postby Ken » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:34 pm

So finally getting around to photodump posting re: our recent trip to Arkansas / Missouri to check out a variety of trails.

Load up...

M. in a big hurry...

Either the speedometer is jacked or it is a very powerful truck...

So I took the helm into downtown Bentonville, where the holiday lights were ablaze...

On most mtb trips I'm all jazzed to be on the road, this is usually where the low quality pix stop, this time I vowed to get some shots; quantity over quality.

Ride prep and nice facilities at one of many trail access points...

Early in on day one, came across this crappy fall line...

Fortunately, not all the trails in / around Bentonville were like this. There are contour surfing xc trails littered with TTFs, gateway trails accessible from bike/ped paths, back country gnar, freeride / dirt jump parks, flow trails, full on dh trails... everything. I was shocked, and pleased.

How will we cross the creek? Simple...

The bridges become progressively more interesting...

Looks like signhenge, this is not the case; just doing a little advocacy homework. These facilities are literally in-town and accessible to anyone...

Playland...

Some dh / flow trails...
Guess I should have gone back up to take some shots of the hips, rollers, tables, wall rides, etc. but if I hiked back up the only thing I planned to do was catch my breath and ride back down!

Yes, the leaves made these trails a bit tricky, causing some ground contact and at least one large bruise...

Eureka Springs, mix of old school and new...
Interested night scene, felt oddly like the Lost Boys...

This area is fairly recent to not being a dry county, so you would think there wouldn't be much character in the local fermented beverages... wrong.
Bacon ice cream!

Did I mention that the local community and Progressive Trail Designs have pretty much integrated off road riding directly into the bike / ped systems?
TTFs including rock skinnies, rock berm, rock rollers, and rock 'n rollers...

It doesn't stop there, these trail facilities are located behind an elementary and junior high schools...

5 minutes away from Slaughter Pen by car, also accessible via bike; Blowing Springs...
Post ride libations and mechanical remedies...
Didn't take a lot of riding pictures here because it was way too good to want to stop.

Rode as much as possible in 3 days, leaving the legs mushy in the best of ways and Bentonville in the rearviewmirrow. Onto Landahl Park in KC, where the riding was... well, I'm tired of copy-pasting Photobucket links so that will have to wait...

What mt. bike trip doesn't end with a stop at Trader Joe's in West DesMoines?
Ken
Site Admin

Re: Road Trip! A whole lotta NW Arkansas and a little KC

Postby Farmboy » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:27 am

Very cool. For those of us planning on doing some impromptu road trips in the spring, How long did it take you to get there going 110mph? Are there days worth of riding in Arkansas for intermediate riders? How long would you, the author, stay there before you were satiated? Pics are great. They stoke it up.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby Ken » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:20 pm

Farmboy wrote:Very cool. For those of us planning on doing some impromptu road trips in the spring, How long did it take you to get there going 110mph? Are there days worth of riding in Arkansas for intermediate riders? How long would you, the author, stay there before you were satiated? Pics are great. They stoke it up.

A strong 8 hours going somewhere close to the posted speed limits. There are apparently a few other places near there we didn't get the chance to ride (Devil's Den and Hobbs Park), so yeah... 2 days if you want to ride everything and leave, 3-4 if you want to explore more and hit your favorites again. With KC en route, it makes for a gooooood trip; except maybe in the height of summer as everyone reports it is super hot / humid down that-a-way.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:47 pm

Posted up on the Earthriders forum about passing through their area and got a good response, they no doubt have a large and active mtb community there... home of the original Midwest Mt. Bike Festival, right?

My point is there are lots of options, I read somewhere they have over 100 miles of dirt in the municipal area... wow

So our legs were pretty juiced by the time we made KC, but Landahl has just about everything you'd want from a trail system so close to an urban setting... the trails are smooth, rough, up, down, butter, gnar, flowy, tech... everything. You can witness the evolution of trail riding / building in that area by touring Landhal.

In one area (not pictured) my body had no choice but to get warm, turn off the brain, and muscle (in mtb instinct mode) through the gnar... hadn't been forced to do that in a while, and it was great!

Soooo many rocks in both Arkansas and Missouri (Landahl below) it puts into perspective how "soft" our local trails really are.

Signage...

Bottom line, good riding in KC.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby crrimson » Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:41 am

Thanks for the pictures and write up, looks like a great trip.
crrimson

Postby jimithng23 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:21 am

Landahl is a blast. It's been a few years since I was there but from what I remember, the trail flowed so well that you never really felt as though you were gaining elevation. Really like the challenging lines through the rocks. Great place, need to get back fo SHO.

Thanks sharing the trip report!
jimithng23

Return to Photo / Video Gallery