Decorah in April!

Post riding multimedia here...

Decorah in April!

Postby iLuvTechnical » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:08 pm

Last minute opportunities presented themselves a couple wks ago to a few people resulting in a day-trip to Decorah to remember :clap:

Our day started b4 the sun came up.

The Sun may not have been up when we left home base, but it sure was for the rest of the day! It was beautiful out! I think the temp hit a high of about 64 or so, but wasn't below 55 even at the start. Personally, that was perfect for me b/c 5 minutes into a ride after my heart gets pumping, I am warm enough to be comfortable in shorts and short sleeves.

Our crew (minus Jeff) met at T-Bock's http://tbocks.com/ for some tasty breakfast to fill our energy stores.

We split our ride into a b4 lunch ride which included starting by going up Public Television in Van Peenen Park, doing all the trails there and then heading over to the trails in Dunning's Spring Park. I believe these pictures are from the area around Mother's Day in Dunning's Spring.

Mr. Jason...

Mr. ScottEX...

Our amazing tour guide Mr. Jeff (on a single speed fatty and still waiting for us with gears, yet still slower peeps!!!)...

Mr. Ken...

Mr. Urbanbigfoot...

Time for a break in the "secret spot" after some..."omg, please help me make it up this next climb b4 I wuss-out and my peeps see me walking when the rest of them made it" riding.

Time to refuel at T-Bock's after heading back down to civilization :drool:

For locking convenience, we all loaded our bikes back onto their perspective bike racks during lunch. I mentioned that little tidbit b/c it resulted in our decision to "drive" over to the River Trail parking area after lunch to start a second leg of riding in the Palisades Park trails. Mr. Jason had to get somewhere after lunch so he had to bail. Our exceptionally gracious and exceptionally fast local guide also had to part ways at lunch time, so Mr. Ken and I took turns guiding our crew over to and around Palisades Park.

The River Trail is a nice and easy ride in a flat area w/ a couple quick ups and downs that help get the legs re-warmed back up and a great cool down on the way back to the vehicle!
Mr. Ken asked my opinion of how I wanted to ride Palisades and my reply was, "I wanna cheat up the pavement and ride down the dirt!" Don't get me wrong; the ride to the top via the road is no cakewalk! In fact, some people walk it as fast as some ride it :wink: But, I would rather die a quick death up the shorter pavement route than die a slow death up the longer single track route :oops:

For some, a tree that falls across the trail is a nuisance; for others, it becomes an opportunity!

This is the section I absolutely love and tear up! My bike loves to hit this stuff and Mr. Ken knew it, so he gave me the lead. Well, that and the fact that he just broke a spring on one of his Crank Bros. pedals and he didn't feel he would be ripp'n it as much as usual. I gotta give Mr Ken props though; he still kicked butt for the next mile or two even w/out being able to clip-in 100%.

What better way to end the day than to cool down on the River Trail, load up, go a block or two around the corner to hang w/ my peeps at Dunning Falls :D

Great day!
There is always someplace in the world dry enough for kick'n up a little dirt.
FIND IT AND LET THE REST OF US KNOW!
iLuvTechnical

Re: Decorah in April!

Postby urbanbigfoot » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:49 pm

Great pictures ILT! Thanks for being our photographer. I might steal a couple of these for my own personal use since I wasn't in any of the pictures I took.

This was indeed a great day. We have to do this again.
When I was a kid, I rode bikes. Now I ride bikes and act like a kid. Some things never change.
urbanbigfoot

Postby NoyzSource » Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:43 pm

Buddy is screaming in his mind "GIVE ME THAT DAMN TWIZZLER!!!!!"
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby iLuvTechnical » Fri May 18, 2012 11:28 am

I forgot about the "thank you" pictures I took. Okay, here's the story behind these shots...

You all know and practice (at least heard of) the old rule...leave things better than you found them?
Well, since our gracious host(s) Jeff (and I forgot to mention Ben b/c he was only w/ us for a short ride) were so awesome and took time out of their day to hold our hands for some tours, not to mention, sharing their stash of naturally chilled libations from the G-Hole; we decided to show our gratitude by restocking their stash w/ a 30 pack :D

Shot of the crew heading back to the road after leaving the "thank you" surprise.

I think they were feeling pretty happy w/ themselves about their good deed 8)

Last edited by iLuvTechnical on Fri May 18, 2012 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is always someplace in the world dry enough for kick'n up a little dirt.
FIND IT AND LET THE REST OF US KNOW!
iLuvTechnical

Postby Ken » Fri May 18, 2012 2:25 pm

Awwwww yes, forgot about that part; thanks for posting. They (DHPT) are going to work with us on the Great Rogue Hoe Purchase of 2012 as well.

AHTBM's Stevil has got nuttin' on the G-hole...
Matt wrote:“Stevil,
Since I started reading your blog I have noticed that you have a secret beer stash that you hoard beer at near one of your frequented (or maybe formerly frequented) mountain biking spots. You have referenced this in several posts, maybe on purpose or maybe just through photo evidence.
I am interested in learning the skill of stashing beer to enjoy later i.e. after work when I am riding home. How do you do it? What do you do to keep the coveted beer at an enjoyable temperature? Do you offer a ‘Beer Stashing 101′ course?

Teach us your ways, oh wise Stevil!
Thanks dude, stay rad.
Matt from Central Minnesota”

This might be the newest segment on this site. Some kind of advice column but where people pose questions of the banal, and I answer them incorrectly.

I’ll talk to my people about it.

Anyway, as I told Matt, ocasionally when traveling into the woods, I will bring along a six pack with me, leave four for later and drink two for now. The best spot to leave a can, or two, or more is under a downed tree, or anywhere that might act as a suitable landmark. I have cans of beer stashed all over Santa Cruz County that I will never be able to find again because I didn’t follow the landmark rule. The other benefit of keeping them buried is that no matter how high the temps rise, the canned goodness will always stay chilled;

A third and final advantage of stashing beer is that when riding with friends, when emerging from the bushes with cold beer for everyone, you might as well put a crown on your head, because at that point there is no one more awesome on the planet.

I will conclude this lesson with a funny, albeit cautionary tale. Several winters ago I picked a big redwood log just off of a well frequented trail. When I returned to the spot the following spring, I was dismayed to find that a legion of army ants had built a huge hill upon my stash spot. While I knew that these little beasts protected my booty, I also knew that they weren’t discriminating about who they would swarm when disturbed. I very carefully dug out my treasure with a long stick, and did my best to return their home to its original condition when I was finished. I thanked them for their services by leaving a piece of my sandwich for them to destroy and forever after hid my stash at the opposite end of their log.

So there you have it. Lessons learned for everyone. Just remember, though our cup of apathy might be overflowing, a hidden stash of beer never can be.
Ken
Site Admin

Return to Photo / Video Gallery