I Coulda DIED!

Post riding multimedia here...

I Coulda DIED!

Postby iLuvTechnical » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:09 pm

When I accidentally caused a 2" in diameter branch to flip up into my spokes while riding, it could have been disastrous and I coulda died! Okay, may not have died, but branches in the spokes can sometimes result in a temporary illusion of superman flying over the handlebars of a bike :o Or a different result that is less physically painful, but monetarily painful when paying to fix the damage caused to the wheel.

However, my beloved bladed spokes saved my life by cutting the branch in two; preventing an undesirable and abrupt stoppage of my rolling wheel :dance: My encounter didn't come w/out a price however...

The incident caused the top threads of my presta valve to snap off. One might think that I ended up have a flat tire, but nay; another beloved piece of equipment prevented a deflated tube! Believe it or not, the presta valve CAP prevented just enough reinforcement to the inner valve to stop it from becoming faulty and failing. In fact, I didn't even discover the minimal damage until I felt like adding a little air pressure to it for a ride on the streets and found that I couldn't take the cap off b/c the end of the threads where broken off inside and just spinning on the brass valve. Well, I forwent adding air that night and road it that way for a good week or so before it got to the point where more air was needed. At that point, I finally broke off the brass valve so that I could remove the tube from the wheel and install a new tube.

The lesson here is:
Bladed spokes save lives and minimize damage to other equipment and also that valve covers can serve a purpose :ugeek: (I know some of you believe valve covers don't serve any useful purpose and ultimately elect not to put them on b/c all they do is take time to put on or off when changing a flat :think: )

There is always someplace in the world dry enough for kick'n up a little dirt.
FIND IT AND LET THE REST OF US KNOW!
iLuvTechnical

Re: I Coulda DIED!

Postby Rage » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:54 pm

The only reason your stem broke was because that massive turbine-bladed cap was hanging out there in the wind waiting for a stick to come along and whack it off.
No stem cap = no broken stem.

Rg.
Mean people suck.
Rage

Postby iLuvTechnical » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:19 pm

Rage wrote:The only reason your stem broke was because that massive turbine-bladed cap was hanging out there in the wind waiting for a stick to come along and whack it off.
No stem cap = no broken stem.

Rg.

:teasing-blah: :teasing-blah: :teasing-blah:

Farmboy, is that you? First you kinda looked the same.
balding farmboy & Rage.jpeg
balding farmboy & Rage.jpeg (6.63 KiB) Viewed 819 times

Now ya kinda sound the same.

FYI, it wasn't "hanging out there"; it was in-line w/ the wheel. Thus, in practice, creating LESS drag coeffient :teasing-nutkick:
formula for DRAG.png
formula for DRAG.png (768 Bytes) Viewed 819 times

drag-wind resistance.JPG
drag-wind resistance.JPG (15.81 KiB) Viewed 819 times
iLuvTechnical

Postby Farmboy » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:29 pm

Cripes you've broken more $hit this year on your new bike than I have my whole MTBing life.

ILT I don't know why you brought me into this but, why don't you stop pretending to know what you're talking about.

The scientific definition for what saved your life, your tube, and your wheel is.....dumb luck.

But of course, there will be no convincing you that you might be wrong. Hee hee.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby iLuvTechnical » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:36 pm

Farmboy wrote:Cripes you've broken more $hit this year on your new bike than I have my whole MTBing life...

FYI, I have been wracking my brain (oh, no; may have left myself open here) trying to think of what I have "broken" on my bike that was a direct effect of me doing something to cause it :think:

*the multitude of tubes I went through last year b/c of thorns and one mentioned above!?...no, that wasn't my fault or caused by me.

*the cable housing that split and needed replaced?...no, that wasn't my fault or caused by me.

*some of the knobbies on one of my tires mysteriously coming off?...no, that wasn't my fault or caused by me.

*the rubber on the Marin grips I bought wearing down to almost nothing b/c of all riding I did and b/c of my vice-like-grip?...okay, that was caused by me but I didn't "break" it.

*the chain?...that isn't something I "broke" per se, more like I road so much that I knew it was getting close to needing to be replaced, just didn't replace it until it broke.

**the removable rear derailer (sp?) (may or may not join the "campaign even though I know it was invented in France http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer.html) originally bent on a log-skinny and then finally "broke" after repeatably bending it back b/c it would eventually creep back to a bent state b/c it had been weakened by my original log-skinnie miscalculation?... then, yes, I did "break" that. However, by my count, that is only ONE thing I "broke" that wasn't a normal-wear-item that would eventually need replacing anyway :snooty:
iLuvTechnical

Postby Farmboy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:17 pm

There's gotta be a time limit, a statute of limitations of sorts, for comebacks. I don't know what it should be but it should be less than three weeks.

Riding in thorns is your fault: Stay on the trail.

Cable housing doesn't just split for no reason: your fault.

Knobbies: My fault. Gave you shitty tires.

I'm riding tonight after 9pm. Holler if you want in. Is your axle that you broke fixed?
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby Ken » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:48 pm

Felt fitting considering the thread title...

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Rage » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:42 am

He won't see thirty...

Rg.
Mean people suck.
Rage

Postby iLuvTechnical » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:11 pm

OMG this thread cracks me up!!! Fyi Farmboy, I think the balding picture crack was meant for Rage, but I had a brain-fart. Sorry.
BTW Rage, I lived past 30. (but I think you must have meant 50? In that case, time will soon tell).

Oh, and in case you are wondering why I even re-read this old thread... I was/am looking for something I could swear is in the Forum somewhere..
iLuvTechnical

Return to Photo / Video Gallery