Branches

Branches

Postby Barkleyfan » Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:53 pm

I dunno if anyone else has noticed this or not, but I've been running across boatloads of small branches on some sections of Beverly trails. Directly on the trail, to the point that it almost seems intentional. I've been riding for a long time, on alot of trail systems, and I've never ridden a trail system with as much regular trail maintenance as Bev, and I've never ridden trails with so much debris coming after my spokes. Anyone else noticing this?
Barkleyfan

Postby Farmboy » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:13 pm

Rode today and all seems as it should.
Farmboy

Postby iLuvTechnical » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:23 pm

Haven't noticed that many twigs or branches, but I have noticed deliberate small pieces of glass.

I picked up a bunch by the mini rock crossing on the front side just b4 heading up the hill to get to the 4-way intersection right of Ken's enormous skinny. I also saw more as you cross into the cross-through meadow by the old farm road. I didn't stop to pick it up b/c it seemed to be flat and pressed into the soft dirt.

I sure hope it isn't someone local :(
There is always someplace in the world dry enough for kick'n up a little dirt.
FIND IT AND LET THE REST OF US KNOW!
iLuvTechnical

Postby Jaxon » Sun Oct 26, 2008 5:49 pm

There were a lot of small branches in places on the trail when I rode before noon today. I stopped to remove the ones that were larger or looked like they might get caught in spokes or derailleurs.

When I rode a second loop, there was a tree and a couple large branches that fell in the 15-30 minutes since I rode the first loop. The tree must have fallen seconds before I got there because another guy was less than a minute ahead of me and doubt he could have quickly gone over or around the tree before I got there. I dragged them off the trail and decided to get out of there before one of them fell on me. The wind really picked up around 11:00. There will probably be a whole bunch of branches and trees down after today.
Jaxon

Postby Barkleyfan » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:21 am

I'm counting on a few branches after a windy day like today. But I've seen that after weeks of calm winds. Saw some glass myself a few weeks ago where the south meadow crosses the fire road, and picked up what I could find. I remember years ago someone got killed cuz some locals sabotaged a trail. Father and son ride ended with dad dead. Perhaps it would be a good idea to look into updating the signage so passersby know it's a sanctioned bikepark, and not just a bunch of riders tearing up the trails.

All I know is that Sugar gets the same weather we do, with less upkeep, and it's never in as bad of shape.
Barkleyfan

trail conditions?

Postby Rob » Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:30 am

1. There are more leaves on Beverly's trails than Sugar because Beverly has many more big trees and no pines. Those 150 year old oaks soak up lots of water in the spring and summer and help dry up our trails faster than Sugar, but we pay for it in the fall when the leaves drop. Oaks also drop their leaves later than the type of trees at Sugarbottom.

2. While riding there yesterday I was literally watching branches drop. I gave up trying to kick them all off the trail. There is no paid staff to rush in and rake the trails - so please people, feel free to take a rake and do it. Besides, look up at the forest canopy, until most of those leaves are down we'll be raking it over and over.

3. We tried putting signs at the west meadow entrance and they were stolen.We'll try again.

4. There could be a few @#$@! sabotaging trails, but the way to deal with it is clean it up so they know we are more persistent than them. This is an urban trail easily accessible to many more than Sugar, so we all just have to be willing to take care of things when we ride.

5. Please start parking by the road so we don't turn the parking area into a mudpit. This north facing lot dries slower than the rest of the park.
Rob

Postby Cole82 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:19 pm

Why don't we get some gravel and make a parking lot? That would help show our presence.
Gravel is $6 a ton it is very cheap. I have a small box grader blade that hooks up to a lawn tractor or atv. Also several of us have trucks for hauling gravel or can get it delivered for more money.
I'm too busy to do anything....
Self description, tattoo'ed contractor.......
Cole82

Postby Barkleyfan » Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:22 pm

Hadn't thought about clearing the leaves. I look at them as a protective layer to keep the trail from getting tore up too bad, but I'll go with the flow if we wanna clean them up.

And I certainly wasn't trying to stir up animosity, just voicing a concern. As far as the branches, I do clear them away when I find them. This has just been happening often enough that I thought twice about it.

I'm also in with Coles idea of gravel.
Barkleyfan

Postby crrimson » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:05 pm

I always try and pick up the trash I find on the trail, for about a week there was a bottle of Dr. Pepper and one of orange juice on the trail and it bothered me every time I rode by it, so I finally dumped them out and rode back to the parking lot with these bottles stuffed uncomfortably in my jeans pockets :).

Anyway, I hope someone isn't intentionally putting glass on the trails, the thorns are bad enough for the tires. I just don't quite get why someone has a problem with the trails being in the park.
crrimson

Postby Ken » Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:10 pm

Yeah, you never know what people are thinking, I've come across some pretty strange behavior over the years; at Beverly and elsewhere.

Anywho, I'm planning to hit up some trail work Wednesday in lieu of riding... probably just some debris clearing, leaf blowing / raking, walnut removal, etc.

If anyone's up for that meet me at the park around 5ish in the PM Wednesday.

If you'd rather ride I won't hold it against you, both riding and working are good for the trails :D

peace
Ken
Site Admin

raking/gravel

Postby Rob » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:14 pm

Sorry, I didn't mean to sound gruff about the leaves.

I haven't seen specific research, but I've been taught that we want the organic stuff (leaves etc.) off of the trails as they loosen the soil as they break down. Try to throw it downhill. It's just hard to keep up with leaves this time of year.

The gravel sounds good. I'll be talking to the city this winter. With neighborhoods growing around there, they may have some plans (water would be nice!), but I'll ask about the parking lot problem too. In the mean time, please park toward the road.

See you tonite to rake.
Rob

Postby Barkleyfan » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:00 am

Heh heh That's ok Rob. I changed my opinion of the leaves today anyways. I got a little optimistic with my speed and the front tire went right out from under me. No roots, no rocks, just leaves, and I was kissin dirt and donating a little plasma. Ken pointed out the Halloween ride would probably appreciate the leaves being gone, so if there's any sections that didn't get done tonight, let me know and I will bring my blower with me Thursday afternoon.
Barkleyfan

leaves

Postby futon » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:13 pm

I rode last night (WED) from 7-8:30 and the trails without leaves were completely awesome, I see how the leaves might help retain moisture, so when they are off the trail, it probably dries faster. I got to trail #10 and the leaves were not off of that part and it was harder to see where exactly the trail was at all times. How did you get all of those leaves off??

thanks dan
futon

Postby Ken » Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:16 pm

Mechanical advantage :)
Also with raking help from: Brad, Chad, Adam, Eric, Jim, Noel, Rob, and I can't think of anyone else.

There were also riders out there, which helps as well. Speaking of riding, I'm heading out there 5ish tonoche...

Rock.
Ken
Site Admin

Return to Archived Posts