Things to do/Things needed

Things to do/Things needed

Postby NoyzSource » Sun Sep 30, 2007 5:08 pm

Notes: Please post more items in the comments below and I will add them to the list.

Things to do:
    Collect good acorns for planting. Look around the base of the burr oaks for the acorns. We'can insert them just a couple of inches deep in the soil in the middle open areas to start new trees.

Clean trails off. Remove sticks and other debris. Walnuts were pretty bad and can make the trails in some stretches difficult.

Collar trees in the middle meadow. Some of them have been collared but there are a few more that need it. There is some leftover tiling that needs to be cut to length and split down the side to go on the trees.

Map the smaller trees in the middle meadow that need protection.

Cut down the thorny bushes in the middle meadow. There are a couple of patches of these that should be cut down.

Trim branches encroaching on the trails.

Items needed:

Black tube/tiling - for collaring burr oak trees in the middle meadow

Fence/posts - to protect the very small trees in the middle meadow

NoyzSource
Site Admin

Downed Trees

Postby Ken » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:07 am

The word on the streets is that there are a lot of downed trees after the last series of storms. Please use discretion while riding in/around these new "features", we'll be out there to take care of them as soon as we can...
Ken
Site Admin

Last TRAILWORK Day of 2007

Postby Ken » Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:33 pm

Hope to see y'all out at Beverly this weekend. If we get a bunch done and it doesn't snow for a while, Beverly will be prime for riding well into winter...

Hi everyone,

Please come to LAMBA's last formal workday for the year at Beverly Park this Sunday 11/18, at 11 am. Social will be about 1:30pm

There are lots of important projects to work on - including roughing in new trails so we could really use a good turn out. Come see our new trailer and equipment and check out our new Toro Dingo. We'll be using it to get the south meadow trail in top condition. Bring a friend, work gloves and a spare rake.

See you there!
Rob Johnson, President, LAMBA
Ken
Site Admin

trail work 2008

Postby Ken » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:24 am

So much for the winter riding idea eh? So yeah, we've got lists of things to do this spring @ Beverly; but it would be good to start public discussion of ideas...
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:48 pm

I see a lot of people have weighed in about things do do at Beverly :roll:

Ha, ha. Anywho, if things work out I'm planning to head out to Beverly tonight to do some things necessary to help the existing trails to be their best for the event this weekend.

- Remove ALL stumps / little tree pedal catchers.

- Fill / tamp soil in and around holes from removed items.

- Remove ALL eye / arm / leg whips.

- Throw debris 10/15 feet so return to trail is unlikely.

- Dirt / solid log segments to smooth out / cement log overs.

- Rake debris from trail tread and 2 feet each side of trail.

- Armor low spots with rock / timber.

Fun stuff! Maybe see you out there...
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:59 pm

Okay, so out of the list above Rob, Eric, my 5 year old son and I were able to get 80% done with armoring the drainage crossing near the riding lawn mower. It's not 100% stable, but definitely hike-a-bikeable. We took flat limestone rocks from around the base of the old barn foundation and another structure near there, transported them to the low area, and began rudimentary construction of an armored trail tread. If anyone is interested in finishing it up and or rearranging rocks to be more passable by bike, knock yourself out :idea:

Other things folks could do that would greatly assist with maintenance of the trails at Beverly include:

- Trimming / lopping of any eye pokers, face / arm / leg whips that encroach on the trail. If you're riding / walking the trails and something catches on your person, lop it.

- Loose sticks / debris on the trails should be thrown 10 or 15 feet from the trail because believe me, those things somehow find their way back to the trail and into rear dérailleur :x

Figured we should probably keep the list short and sweet for now. Thanks to all who have helped keep the park in such good shape and thanks in advance to all who are continuously helping this project work out so well...

Here's a pic of Rob and Diane Johnson resting on the soon to be completed kiosk (photo by Noel Kehrt).
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Farmboy » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:46 pm

Loose sticks / debris on the trails should be thrown 10 or 15 feet from the trail because believe me, those things somehow find their way back to the trail and into rear dérailleur

Who needs deraileurs anyway? Those and those darn squishy things y'all have..... :lol:
Farmboy

Return to Archived Posts