Thomas Park Ride

Thomas Park Ride

Postby iLuvTechnical » Mon May 05, 2008 3:27 pm

I'm planning a ride at Thomas Park tonight at about 6pm. I made some trails back in there for the past couple years. However, there has been some recent development back by Armar Plaza.

My ride has two purposes:
1. Have fun riding a different area and

2. Scope out where to suggest to the parks department next Wednesday of possible areas to develop.

It is a beautiful area and a great workout!

Anyone interested?
There is always someplace in the world dry enough for kick'n up a little dirt.
FIND IT AND LET THE REST OF US KNOW!
iLuvTechnical

re: Thomas Park

Postby petewendel » Thu May 08, 2008 11:00 pm

Missed your post until late in the week. There used to be quite a bit of space behind Thomas to ride...now it's really quite developed. I'm quite curious to know if there's still some areas that are possibly useful for trails. Curious to know what you found. Feel free to post your thougthts or email me directly at pwendel04@yahoo.com

Best,
-Pete
petewendel

Postby NoyzSource » Thu May 08, 2008 11:20 pm

Chris - when and where is the meeting for Marion?
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby iLuvTechnical » Fri May 09, 2008 12:06 pm

The monthly parks board meeting for Marion is Wed. May 14th @4pm at the 4500 10th St. building.
iLuvTechnical

Postby Crank Addict » Fri May 09, 2008 10:18 pm

So... Monday didn't work for me.... Anyhow, I hope new trails progress into Marion sometime. I'm Google Earthing the area around Thomas and can't tell what all is available for potential trails. Do you know how many acres are available and the type of terrain.... hilly, flat, etc
Crank Addict

Postby Ken » Sat May 10, 2008 7:55 am

I'll be leading up the LAMBA nite @ Bev on Wednesday the 14th, but don't let that stop anyone from doing what they gotta do to advocate for more trails in the community; I'm not that important. I will always do what I can to provide resources to help folks advocate for trails. If LAMBA can grow to the size necessary to sustain multiple opportunities for trail riding in / around CR, that would be awesome...
Rob wrote:[url=http://www.lambaonline.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44&start=15]There aren't any rules for how much time a person puts into projects for LAMBA. We just want people to join and help anyway they can.

Some things require more teamwork than others. Good sustainable trails take careful planning and lots of hard work to get them laid down. Then the maintenance has to happen as the brush tries to reclaim your work.

People volunteering to be quadrant chairs will be one way to get more trails. Right now, Lamba doesn't have enough members to start projects on other city and county lands. But if we can get people from different parts of the city to build local membership (a committee) that could keep an eye on the maintenance (say around Seminole Valley or Squaw Creek), they could coordinate with the board to set up trail design, building and maintenance projects to get the additional trails we all want.

LAMBA has the tools and skills, but again, right now we don't have enough committed volunteers to maintain more local projects than Beverly. So if Beverly and Sugar Bottom are all people want - so be it. On the other hand, if people want more trails, they need to commit to doing more than just riding and help LAMBA build a club that can maintain a city wide system.[/url]
Ken
Site Admin

Postby DonScott » Mon May 12, 2008 9:33 am

My boys and I have been doing the Boyson Park - Thomas Park loop lately....the 5 year old just started riding on 2 wheels !!! No more trailer !!!! Yippie.

.....anyway, if there are adventures to be had in the woods near Thomas that would be wonderful. Can you let us in on the secret trail head location ?
DonScott

Postby konabiker » Mon May 12, 2008 1:15 pm

it's all about coordinating and working together. imba is trying to do the same thing nationwide. we need to figure out how to do it locally. we can get a lot more done working cooperatively than working separately on our own projects. more trails build momentum, membership, visibility, and excitement. forc is doing a great job growing their club and getting access to more parks to build trails. pamba is a great example as well. i think it takes core leaders and trail stewards but more important is communication. we need to work smarter, not harder. basic maintenance could be done by volunteers who "adopt" sections of trails--ghorba seems to do this well at jack brooks. it's not one person per trail but rather a group of people to trim the verge and de-berm and report to trail stewards when a re-route is needed or a trail day is needed to repair drainage and such. trail work days should be coordinated so that you can get a concentrated effort at one location so you can keep it short and have time for fun and riding. i know we all tend to focus on our own immediate needs but we really need to think broader and more long term growth. come on out of the woodwork folks, we need your input and your help. we need project managers and people with ideas and people to adopt trails and build bridges and ttfs (technical trail features). we also need administrative, organizational, and marketing skills as well. you don't have to do everything. pick an area and lend a hand. lamba and icorr can only be what you make of it.
konabiker

Postby iLuvTechnical » Mon May 12, 2008 1:26 pm

I'm at work so I don't have much time to get to precise, but the trail head is on your right about 150 yards into Legion Park. The trail is obvious in some areas and not in others. I haven't had time to mark some areas very well and I didn't work it much last summer so it can be difficult to navigate. It is just a one man project and it has changed b/c of the new development by Armar Plaza and the disc golf changes this year cut into one area.

I hope to know more about whether we can get an offical area designated to us later this week.

I am going tonight @ 6 if anyoneone wants to post up. I will wait for you at the first tee of the disc golf area by the sand volleyball and gate, if I know you are coming.

CrankAddict,
I have an areal shot which was given to me by the parks dept. I don't know the exact acreage, but it was over 50 b4 they bought new land. Some of it is woods, ridges, grass, creek, and flood plain. It won't be "America's top 50 Best Trails", but it is better than some cities have.
iLuvTechnical

Postby iLuvTechnical » Mon May 12, 2008 1:29 pm

Well said Kona!
iLuvTechnical

Marion

Postby Rob » Tue May 13, 2008 12:58 pm

I'll be at the Marion Parks meeting with a simple statement requesting Marion consider having MTB Trails as part of their plan for good growth. We want this to be on their radar as worthy recreation. It's important to note that the "crazy" image of riding sticks in people's minds, yet even the most extreme stuff all starts with basic, safe singletrack that makes people remember how fun it is to cruise through the woods under your own power. We all start with baby steps, whether riding or walking. Then, it makes us crave more as our skills build! For now, let's show our responsibility as stewards of the land, recruit others to help us do the hard ground work, and help people know how fun it is to get around beautiful places under their own power.
Rob

Postby konabiker » Tue May 13, 2008 1:14 pm

konabiker

Postby hojong » Tue May 13, 2008 6:41 pm

trails at Thomas Park would be great, since I would be easily able to ride to the trailhead. I haven't explored it much yet, but was wondering if trails would be close to the disc golf course there?

Also, I was curious what the basic strategy for gaining trail access in the Cedar Rapids area. Are we trying to go one park at a time, as in getting permission to build, building, maintaining, then moving on to the next park? Or see if we can get through all the redtape at multiple venues simultaneously, then start trailwork?

How long does it usually take from proposal date to actual permission to actual trail construction? How long did that process take for Beverly?

I am just wondering because I keep hearing all these different park names being thrown around (Thomas, Squaw Creek, Seminole Valley, etc.)
hojong

Re: Marion

Postby iLuvTechnical » Tue May 13, 2008 6:59 pm

Rob wrote:I'll be at the Marion Parks meeting with a simple statement requesting Marion consider having MTB Trails as part of their plan for good growth. We want this to be on their radar as worthy recreation. It's important to note that the "crazy" image of riding sticks in people's minds, yet even the most extreme stuff all starts with basic, safe singletrack that makes people remember how fun it is to cruise through the woods under your own power. We all start with baby steps, whether riding or walking. Then, it makes us crave more as our skills build! For now, let's show our responsibility as stewards of the land, recruit others to help us do the hard ground work, and help people know how fun it is to get around beautiful places under their own power.

Well said Rob :wink:

I'll let someone else field hojong's question. I only know about Thomas Park and I don't know all the answers yet. I will know more soon.
iLuvTechnical

Postby Farmboy » Tue May 13, 2008 9:23 pm

Sorry I can't make it to this tomorrow. No way I'm getting off work early tomorrow. No way in hell.
Farmboy

city policies and more

Postby Rob » Wed May 14, 2008 9:36 am

The basic strategy is to approach city government with goal of having them acknowledge mountain biking as a legitimate, beneficial use of city lands. As this is done, you also ask if there are some lands that would be available for the development of riding trails. (This can be complex if they don't know what makes a good area for singletrack or if they confuse mountain biking with bmx or free-riding/sessioning).

Then there are the liability/insurance issues. These are an ongoing and expensive part of the agreement with CR.

In CR, the city has approved of mountain biking and backed it with equipment funding through Hotel/Motel and given us access to Beverly Park to show what we can do. There are other parks (both city and county) that would make terrific riding venues - however - there have to be enough active club members willing to put the time in to properly design and maintain trails that get built. For example, Di and I can get to Beverly over the noon hour for a little work like spraying poison ivy. On the other hand, it takes us almost as long to get to Marion as it does to get to Sugar Bottom.

As said before, each new set of trails needs a leader and core maintenance committee to do the week to week stuff through the season. LAMBA can back this up with tools and big turn outs as needed, but unless we have enough local "foot soldiers" to keep what we've built open and watched over, we won't get a sustainable system.

These riders also need to be knowledgeable
. You just can't have people cutting in trails or building dangerous features where ever they want them. (Every rider should read the IMBA Trail Solutions book).

So keep turning out for organized work days, let your local govt know you want trails and will work on them, and recruit fellow riders into LAMBA so we have an organized powerful work force to build and sustain a terrific ocal trail network that includes Sugar Bottom.
Rob

Postby konabiker » Wed May 14, 2008 2:01 pm

if anyone wants to borrow any trail building books i have all the books including those not written by imba. i also have the trail building dvd.
konabiker

Postby iLuvTechnical » Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:52 pm

Anyone want to meet me for a ride at Thomas 6-4-08?

It drains REALLY well.
iLuvTechnical

Postby iLuvTechnical » Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:59 pm

Awesome ride the other night! As I finished my first lap I met up w/ jaxon. Man that place drains well!

I think I might go again tonight Fri 6th. If no one replies, I may not go at a specific time.

Anyone in for 6pm?
iLuvTechnical

Postby crrimson » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:55 pm

I've been trying some new places out this week, just to get some variation, I might have to check out Thomas one of these days.

The past week my brother and I rode / carried our bikes on a good share of hiking trails at Palisades just for something different. I'm new to mountain biking but I've been riding Beverly every week for the past couple months so I thought hell I can just take this bike anywhere, but those Palisades trails were steep, rocky, and pretty dangerous so I ended up riding the brakes all the way downhill, and climbing in first gear or carrying the bike over fallen trees and rocky staircases all the way up hill :). Still fun though.

Today I rode a small section of trail they had at Morgan Creek and ended up tearing my shirt in half on a low hanging tree I tried riding under, haha.
crrimson

Next

Return to Archived Posts