Sugar Open or Closed?

A lot of awesome.

Sugar Open or Closed?

Postby conative » Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:03 pm

Rode yesterday. Trails in good shape. Hotline says open, back gate says open, beach entrance says closed? WTF? Same thing happens every fall. ICORR not consistent in checking and opening the trails. Great job.
conative

Re: Sugar Open or Closed?

Postby Rage » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:53 pm

The trails were closed Saturday due to the ~1 1/2" rain received Wednesday thru Friday. They were opened Sunday morning and are currently open.

Like every fine-tuned machine, there are occasional breakdowns with aligning the state of 5 signs, the hotline, and the website. The Rangers close the trails and last week did not get the back gate changed. It happens. Their life would be easier if back lot access were closed so I believe this oversight is a minor inconvenience compared with a single point of entry. I think we can live with it. Similar story with the hotline; we have had technical issues this week with the hotline and the link to the webpage (this is still not resolved). It would certainly be much easier to eliminate the hotline, but we feel it offers an important service to the community, albeit at a significant cost to ICORR and with less than perfect reliability. Not perfect certainly, but still better than the alternative of driving out to the trails to determine if they're open or not.

Bottom line, the gate/sign at the beach lot is the master - if it says closed the trails are closed, regardless of any other conflicting information. The rangers can and will fine people caught riding the trails when this gate is closed.

We get it right much more often than wrong, but it's a bummer when it happens. We get it, and are looking for ways to improve it. We don't always know when things go awry so if you find conflicting info, please continue to drop a cheerful note on the forum, facebook page, or email so we can get it resolved.

Rg.
Mean people suck.
Rage

Postby FormDeformed » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:47 am

How are the trails looking for this weekend; November 9-10? The website and hotline both say closed right now, but it's looking to be dry today and tomorrow.
FormDeformed

Postby FormDeformed » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:02 pm

Website and hotline said "Closed" this morning. How are we looking for the weekend; November 9-10?
FormDeformed

Postby conative » Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:04 pm

Did anyone even check the trails on Saturday? As someone who used to have the "authority" to open and close the trails, I'm sure that if someone had checked them they would have been open. I'm glad I used my own good judgment and rode anyway. Tired of missing rides. It has been suggested in the past that with people's busy schedules ICORR create a rotation of individuals responsible for checking the trails on a week to week basis. People could sign up for this, they could help out. That way it's not left up to a few individuals to have the responsibility of checking the trails all the time. For me, I will continue to use my own good judgment.
conative

Postby rscover » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:57 pm

just wondering if the website shows open, and hotline says closed, what do you go by? no bitch or complaining, would like to thank you guys,you do really good job with the trails
rscover

Postby conative » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:38 pm

Trails frozen solid. Not December. Why aren't they open?
conative

Postby Cannonball » Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:07 pm

Hey rscover, If the hotline and website don't match, I'd go by the hotline over the website. The website is changed automatically based on input from the hotline. Sometimes that link gets broken. Normally though, if the website isn't working the hotline isn't working either. When it works, its a great system especially for those of us without smart phones.

This time of year, the rangers are on a low staff and they are not closing trails, leaving both opening and closing to volunteers. I did hear the trails are open today, all the signs are flipped. I'm guessing it will be greasy if it gets above freezing. Its hard to get an accurate forecast but looks like it will warm up Friday. I'll probably have my last ride Wed or Thurs to counteract the effects of thanksgiving.
Cannonball

Postby Farmboy » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:43 pm

dick.jpg
dick.jpg (16.77 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby Rage » Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:22 pm

Word.

Rg.
Mean people suck.
Rage

Postby dgw2jr » Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:42 pm

Life IS short! Open rideable trails! :mrgreen:
dgw2jr

Return to Sugar Bottom