Sugar open 2013

A lot of awesome.

Sugar open 2013

Postby Rage » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:44 pm

Sugar Bottom will now be open as weather permits. Winter riding, this means we'll be looking for high temperatures around 25 degrees to make sure the trail is solid, and there may be limbs down in some areas. As always check the hotline for trail status.

See you on the trail!
Rg.
Mean people suck.
Rage

Re: Sugar open 2013

Postby Cannonball » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:22 pm

A couple things to keep in mind. Only the sign at the back lot will be flipped open, and that is also the only place to park for winter riding. Opening and closing of the trails can be sluggish in the winter, so use good judgment when going for a ride. If you are leaving a rut, time to stop riding. Temps in the 20s or lower are perfect but it gets soft in a hurry around 30 deg, especially with the sun shining on bare ground. I do think its hard to do damage with these new-fangled fat bikes.
Cannonball

Postby jnecessary » Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:36 pm

It is hard to rut the trails with a fat bike but when it's 30 out and sunny they will still make a mess. Good judgement is key, fatties might buy you a couple degrees though. :-)
jnecessary

Postby conative » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:33 pm

Rode sugar yesterday afternoon and everything is frozen solid. Why are trails still closed with cold temps in the forecast?
conative

Postby Cannonball » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:17 am

Yeah, they could have been opened. Everyone was busy with the fat bike race in IC I guess. Looks like next Sunday is our next opportunity, we'll shoot for then. How are the trails, any ice patches?
Cannonball

Postby sai » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:54 am

Cannonball wrote:How are the trails, any ice patches?

I was there Tue morning (early, everything was frozen solid). The 200's are ice-free, but much of the 300's have icy sections, and the north side has ice from time to time. There's just enough ice to make you want studded tires. Almost.
sai

Postby conative » Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:36 pm

"I guess everyone was busy with the fat bike race in IC" Is that really a legitimate excuse for keeping bikers out of Sugar because no one took the time to open the trails? Good thing I used my own judgement and rode anyway! This whole trail closure policy is so inconsistent. Why not just leave the trails open in the winter and let people use their own discretion. The only ones out there anyway are the hardcore riders who know when the trails are rideable and when they are not.
conative

Postby NoyzSource » Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:11 pm

conative wrote:Why not just leave the trails open in the winter and let people use their own discretion. The only ones out there anyway are the hardcore riders who know when the trails are rideable and when they are not.

Probably because the riders in the past have not used very good discretion and damaged the trails. If I recall correctly, was it even allowed to ride your bike out there 3 years ago during the winter? Relax, trail status is a pain in the butt. We don't get paid to update the trail status and drive out there to check the trails. We have lives and priorities and sometimes we just have other stuff we want to do.

I'd love to be able to fund a full time "Trail Master" in the area whose sole job was to drive to the Linn and Johnson singletrack trails to update the signs and trail status. Unfortunately I'm not independently wealthy or married to a sugar momma so the reality is that we don't have that luxury. Until we do you are just going to have to endure a little pain with the "inconsistency". It doesn't sound like that inconsistency stopped you this time.

If you do want a full time "Trail Master" then start writing some letters to the local county conservation board to get them to fund that kind of thing. Start the drive with ICORR and LAMBA to push for a full time position within the local govt agency. It will be an uphill battle but it sure can't hurt. It can help put an idea in their heads that this is something that one of their current employees may be able to handle.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby conative » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:39 pm

I've been riding at Sugar for 12 years now and there have been hundreds of rides that I have missed due to the trails being closed because ICORR was too busy or too lazy to send someone out there to flip the signs. I was on the board of directors for ICORR and one of the first things I proposed was a rotating schedule of people to be responsible for checking and updating trail status. This was squashed just like many other great ideas throughout the years because they didn't come from the right person. The last couple of years I have finally just said screw the trail closures (with the exception of December because I don't want to get shot) and started using my own judgement on whether to ride or not.

As for this idea of a paid "trail master", that is both unneccesary and obsurd. If it is too much for 1 or 2 people whom ICORR feels are "qualified" to check and maintain trail status then maybe we should educate some more people willing to help with this duty. BTW this idea was proposed before by another long time ICORR volunteer and was also squashed by the few dictators at ICORR who have appointed themselves as life long board members. Speaking of which isn't it written in the ICORR bylaws that we have an annual election of board members? Yes it is. I have a copy of it on file.

Finally, as for LAMBA, they don't have a trail closure system. They leave it up to any LAMBA member who might be out at the trails to update the trail status. All it takes is one phone call or text. Their system works pretty darn good and also makes their members feel like they have a say in the decisions being made. I wish I could say the same for ICORR.

p.s. The fact that the trails are now open in the winter is a direct result of myself pushing ICORR to allow this. We were told in the past that it was the CORE that didn't allow winter riding, when in fact it was ICORR keeping people off the trails in winter all those years.
conative

Postby Rage » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:22 pm

Interesting comments. Please continue to abide the winter closure guidance to avoid trail damage - safe riding at 25F and lower.

Rg.
Mean people suck.
Rage

Postby Cannonball » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:04 pm

Rode Sugar Sunday under frigid conditions. The warm up last week did little to eliminate the ice so the conditions are the same as previously mentioned. 200s are ice free, 300s and 100s have some sketchy spots. If you wish to avoid ice entirely, ride the 200s, then take the fire road back.
Cannonball

Postby conative » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:04 pm

Again, temps below zero and Sugar is still closed? Are you kidding me! :x
conative

Postby DL1030 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:00 pm

is this guy serious?
Are you dumb and depressed, ride a mountain bike!
DL1030

Postby jnecessary » Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:53 pm

Rage wrote:Interesting comments. Please continue to abide the winter closure guidance to avoid trail damage - safe riding at 25F and lower.

Rg.

Gonna go ahead and quote this one again. Don't expect the signs to be updated each night at 25 degrees and then someone waiting on it to warm up a few degrees and close it down again.

"SAFE RIDING AT 25F AND LOWER."
jnecessary

Postby Ken » Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:12 pm

Por ejemplo...
Ken
Site Admin

Postby Ken » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:00 pm

Don't do it.

via... http://mtbid.org/
Ken
Site Admin

Postby dgw2jr » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:19 pm

Ken wrote:Don't do it.

via... http://mtbid.org/

Looks like 2 very faint tire tracks in the foreground and a mess load of foot prints everywhere else... :think:
dgw2jr

Postby Ken » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:31 am

Ken
Site Admin

Postby Cannonball » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:14 pm

Nice poster Ken, did you make that? We should put this up at Sugar, though it may need to be the size of an interstate billboard for people to get the message. I rode Sugar yesterday, temp was 23 degrees and I had to cut the ride short due to muddy conditions. So much for the 25 deg rule, which I actually thought was a bit conservative. I think we could ride on barren ground up to 28 deg on a sunny day in January. Mid Feb to mid Mar, I think the sun is too intense, temps probably have to be below 20 deg when there is no snow cover. Any thoughts...
Cannonball

Postby Ken » Sun Feb 17, 2013 6:45 pm

Nope, not sure where I picked that one up; keep them in a folder for the inevitable need to bring out every spring year after year. Sorry to hear about your ride... I think you are correct, the sun just gets a bit more intense as spring approaches and air temperature doesn't always guarantee good soil conditions. Hence, use good judgement and if ya screw up (it happens) show up to your local clubs trail work days and be ready to put in the sweat equity; it's good for you!
Ken
Site Admin

Return to Sugar Bottom