Introduce Yourself

Welcome to the forum. Introduce yourself, check out and participate in discussions about mountain biking and all sorts of related fun...

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby Josh.Draper » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:50 pm

Hey everyone, I am new to mountain biking and just getting back into biking alltogether. I recently purchased a GT Karakoram 29er and am looking forward to riding out at Beverly and some of the other local trails. I have been riding on the concrete in the area trying to get myself back into shape and I have come to the conclusion that there is no better way to do this than to hit up some of the singletrack trails. Is there a night or day that the club offers guided tours of Beverly (or any other trails) or anybody who would be willing to show me around?

Hope to meet many of you soon!

Thanks,

Josh
Josh.Draper

Postby crrimson » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:50 pm

Josh.Draper wrote:Hey everyone, I am new to mountain biking and just getting back into biking alltogether. I recently purchased a GT Karakoram 29er and am looking forward to riding out at Beverly and some of the other local trails. I have been riding on the concrete in the area trying to get myself back into shape and I have come to the conclusion that there is no better way to do this than to hit up some of the singletrack trails. Is there a night or day that the club offers guided tours of Beverly (or any other trails) or anybody who would be willing to show me around?

Hope to meet many of you soon!

Thanks,

Josh

Hey Josh, welcome to the forum. We usually ride Wednesday nights at Beverly and then hang out and eat / drink. This Wednesday I think some people are planning on riding Squaw Creek, hope to see you there!

Otherwise just going out and riding Beverly by yourself is pretty fun because you get to explore it & you can ride it in any direction you want. I remember when I first started, it helped me get in shape, because I didn't know how to get out the first few times, so I was forced to ride more :)
crrimson

Postby Josh.Draper » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:35 pm

Hey crrimson, thanks for the response. I will try to make it out to Beverly next Wednesday and "get lost" myself this weekend. :lol:
Josh.Draper

Postby EvanJS » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:07 pm

Hello,

I recently got into mountain biking this spring. I have been to several of the local trails (squaw creek, Sac & Fox, Boyson & Grant Wood) but have not made it out to Beverly Park. I hope to get out to the Wed night rides.

Evan
EvanJS

Postby urbanbigfoot » Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:59 pm

EvanJS wrote:Hello,

I recently got into mountain biking this spring. I have been to several of the local trails (squaw creek, Sac & Fox, Boyson & Grant Wood) but have not made it out to Beverly Park. I hope to get out to the Wed night rides.

Evan

Welcome Evan. I'm sure we'll meet on the trails some Wednesday. Unfortunately, not tonight...but soon I would suspect. Wednesday rides are a great way to meet some of the local mountain bike community...at least the cool kidz, myself withstanding.
When I was a kid, I rode bikes. Now I ride bikes and act like a kid. Some things never change.
urbanbigfoot

Postby killarbb » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:34 pm

Howdy all....

Brett here

im from the Boone area. i ride road and off road and bar cruises......

i love to meet and ride with new people...

BB
killarbb

Postby badfish41 » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:04 am

Hello.

My name is Jake and I like to ride in the woods on two wheels.

I'm from Davenport, so if you're in the area I'm sure I'll be down to ride or show you around.

I know where all the local trails are, but more importantly where the local breweries are at. (of course, I'm a FORCer)

I have a couple Redlines and a fat bike which is quickly becoming my bff.

Cheers!
badfish41

Postby NoyzSource » Mon Aug 20, 2012 11:08 am

badfish41 wrote:I have a couple Redlines and a fat bike which is quickly becoming my bff.

I hope that bike has firmly put you in the friendzone. DO NOT become intimate with a bike. Farmboy said bad things happen when you become intimate with a bike.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby Farmboy » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:39 pm

NoyzSource wrote:
badfish41 wrote:I have a couple Redlines and a fat bike which is quickly becoming my bff.

I hope that bike has firmly put you in the friendzone. DO NOT become intimate with a bike. Farmboy said bad things happen when you become intimate with a bike.

That's not exactly how I put it. It depends on the person. That's all I'm going to say about that.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby badfish41 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:13 pm

Farmboy wrote:
NoyzSource wrote:

It depends on the person.

(And the size of the seat tube)
badfish41

Postby Farmboy » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:34 pm

Well, the size of one of the tubes anyways. If it don't fit, it don't fit. Lube probably won't help here.
Farmboy

Postby Ken » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:13 pm

Size does not matter.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby klimb2xs » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:06 pm

Back into riding!

I was an irregular visitor here a few years ago when my company was displaced by the flood. I kept riding for a short time after we moved back downtown. But as luck would have it my GF and I were riding down 42nd St to the Mcleod run trail when my GF had a run in with the curb or road snake. She wound up with a broken finger, and a hernia where she caught the handle bars. I took the next couple years off of riding while she recovered from finger and hernia surgerys. I got bit by the riding bug again this year after hosting a group of riders for RAGBRI. Since their visit I have been commuting to work 4-5 days a week. For now my bike ,Jamis Dakar, is pulling commuter duty while I get my sorry rump into shape.
I have also been smoke free since July 4th. Getting back on the bike has helped keep the nicotine fits away. Once I get my endurance a little higher I will have to get out to Beverly for some single track action.

Later
Brian
klimb2xs

Postby NoyzSource » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:13 pm

klimb2xs wrote:Once I get my endurance a little higher I will have to get out to Beverly for some single track action.

Don't wait till then. Do it now. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it. Do it.

JUST DO IT!!!!!

Welcome back. :P
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby Vibrato » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:06 pm

My name is Vibrato...

And I 'm a knobby. Wazzup, Ken, Michelle, Noel, Rage, CG Dave, Eastern Iowa jim, ETC!!!

Howdy!! The wife, Poofy, and I are long time FORC member- LAMBA only 1 year so far. Most all of our trail work has been at Sunderbruch- other than the overlook deck and one bridge, if you ride something made of wood at Sunder, we probably built it- including the new 105 ft long wooden "s" bridge on jubilee trail. Poofy and I are in the process of moving to CR due to my new job with the city.

I've spent the last 2 years injured (broken jaw, knee surgery, seperated shoulder, etc...) so I need to lose another 30 pounds if I'm going to keep trying to catch myself with my hands at 30 MPH. looking forward to getting settled this winter and helping out as needed.

Vibrato and Poofy

"Remember when you were a kid and you would build cool stuff in the woods to ride you bike on? We still do that."
Vibrato

Postby NoyzSource » Fri Nov 16, 2012 4:15 pm

Dude! You're awesome. BTW, if I wanted to remove 3 posts from my basement and install a new beam for support, who should I contact to do the engineering?
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby Vibrato » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:13 pm

Removing 3 posts is a big Dillio. There are companies that make micro-lams, and if you tell them your span and how many floors you are supporting, they might calculate the loads for free. Google CR micro lams or find me on the trails!
Vibrato

Postby Farmboy » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:12 pm

Bienvenidos mi amigos. Looking forward to doing more clippin and sippin with ya.
Farmboy

Postby Maxcycles » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:22 pm

Hello!

My name is Max and I am new to Cedar Rapids. My parents and extended family are from this area which is what lead to me coming out here for a while. I'd love to meet up with some other riders! I've been out to Beverly Park a couple times (two summers ago) and live on the East side near the Sac and Fox trail. I like to ride singletrack and gravel roads, but also venture out onto pavement from time to time. Would love to meet up with some locals! I will be out at Beverly Park tomorrow evening for the group ride if it's still happening (weather?).
Maxcycles

Postby crrimson » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:46 pm

Hello Max! Always good to have new people on the forums. I haven't been out on Wednesdays since it started getting dark/cold early, I'm not sure if others have been keeping up the tradition in the cold or not.
crrimson

PreviousNext

Return to Meet & Greet / Lounge / Chit Chat