Introduce Yourself

Welcome to the forum. Introduce yourself, check out and participate in discussions about mountain biking and all sorts of related fun...

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby DL1030 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 2:11 pm

Sounds like we are going now (weather permitting). I had the day off by chance and Ash finagled her schedule to get done early.

night riding: what do you all use for night riding?
Are you dumb and depressed, ride a mountain bike!
DL1030

Postby konabiker » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:50 pm

i personally use the dinotte 200 lumen light (i believe it uses the super bright luxeon 5w led)
it comes with easy to use helmet and handlebar mounts (helmet mount is the way to go as it illuminates where you're looking and not where your front wheel is pointed)
4 AA batteries and charger included which is why i chose this light. i've used many lights and the most expensive part to replace is the battery. this allows you to cheaply replace with higher capacity AA rechargeable batteries or use alkalines in a pinch.
sure lithium ion is lighter weight but super expensive to replace. the included 4AA NiMH never ran out of power before i did.
i think this light is the best bang for the buck and the flexibility in batteries ensures longevity and it's a great price.
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10 ... 000_201454
sure there are brighter lights out there but they are much more expensive and/or heavier and not as well balanced on your helmet if indeed it comes with helmet mount which usually is an optional accessory.

if you already have AA NiMH (not NiCad) rechargeable batteries and charger, this is a cheaper option but no helmet mount included
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10 ... 000_201454
never used it myself though

anyway keep an eye out for icorr's annual halloween night ride at sugar. i think oct 17? it's a great time. great food and beverages provided by geoff's bike and ski.
konabiker

Postby dmsndogr » Mon Dec 14, 2009 9:52 pm

Hello, so yeah, I just joined this forum, thought I'd introduce myself. I'm dustin, I really want to get into mountain biking. i ustually snoboard in the wintertime, so i know I'll enjoy punishing my body and bike. I have lots of expereince on a bike, just not off road. if you see some one biking through this crappy wheather on C ave, old marion rd, or oakland road, that's probably me. don't hit me, but hit me up. (I would be wearing a white/grey with a little blue coat, back country camelbak, black snowpants).

if any one is going riding at thomas park, let me know, I'd like to try that trail out but I don't know where it starts/ends.
dmsndogr

Postby konabiker » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:08 am

welcome dustin!
iluvtechnical built thomas
konabiker

Postby dmsndogr » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:52 am

thanks!
dmsndogr

Postby dfleck » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:58 am

konabiker wrote:iluvtechnical built thomas

I heard he had his kids do most of the work. :wink:
dfleck

Postby konabiker » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:05 pm

he did make them carry all the heavy boxes during his recent move
konabiker

Postby trek4700 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:26 pm

Dustin i am danny my phone number is <edited> and i am always ready to mountain bike cold weather or not so just hit me up.
ride hard
trek4700

Postby dmsndogr » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:47 pm

Thanks danny! although, you phon number is edited, lol. I'm up for anytime. I'd like to get out soon, but I might need to get a new chain before i do.
dmsndogr

Postby NoyzSource » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:40 pm

yeah sorry about that. I edited the phone number out. Send a direct message with phone numbers instead of posting them to the public forum.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby trek4700 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:17 pm

Thats okay Mr. N
ride hard
trek4700

Postby urbanbigfoot » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:22 pm

I'm Jamie, and just recently joined the forum and became a member of LAMBA. After an 8-year sabbatical, I'm returning to the sport of mt. biking. It used to be a real passion, and I'm hoping it will be again. I'm looking forward to riding Sugarbottom and Beverly on a regular basis. You'll probably catch me riding with a few of my buddies like TheGreatJimbo and Burvee.

I still ride my 2000 Cannondale f300, but more recently moved to a new 2010 Specialized Stumpy FSR Expert (Red Test Bike)...way more bike than I need, but hey, you only live once. Oh, and did I mention I'm a beer-snob? That's right, I like good beer. But my all-time favorite has to be "free" beer.

Hope to see you guys on the trails. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone on the trail - and feel free to hit me up for a trail work day.
When I was a kid, I rode bikes. Now I ride bikes and act like a kid. Some things never change.
urbanbigfoot

Postby dfleck » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:08 pm

You're in the right place. Welcome! :clap:
I've been through somewhat the same deal. I was all passionate 1999 until 2005. Then I had a lot of hardships that made me fall away.
I'm still trying to get back to where I was. :wink:
dfleck

Postby musthavemuzk » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:12 pm

Hello
Monty here. at the moment i am in CR lookin for a job to move back to IA. cpl wks ago i was out to beverly for a wed ride. my first time on singletrack and boy did it kick my tail. i had no clue. the week before that i was at sugarbottom to help with a trail day. a little shy i was but still enjoyed the time and hope i was of some help. now that i have some seat time and have been to the local trails so to speak will see about getting out there more often. not gonna lie though my size and skills say i should keep to the paved rec riding for awhile.
i am originally from Boone. currently living in Thief River Falls, MN (been there since 92).
lots of things in recent times have made me make some changes in life. in a nutshell i needed to get healthier.
lastyear i lost 75 and the goal this year is the same. though its slow this year so far.
my gallery is http://www.pbase.com/musthavemuzk

specifically here for some pics of me and there are some in there with my 06 spec hardrock pro http://www.pbase.com/musthavemuzk/thingsregardingmonty
here for what put me on this journey http://www.pbase.com/musthavemuzk/myleg

foremost right now i am job hunting. been out on bike and checked out some car related events and basically been out and about as much as i can to see the area.
my gf picked up a 09 trek 7200 mens at Hall's as a holdover model (we thought it a good deal) and we made a cpl short rides and for the last week her back has been bothering her (not related to riding) so we havent rode much together yet. hope that changes soon though.
idk how deep i will get into mtn biking but i definitely will give it a go now and then til i see where my skills go with that.
i am most definitely gonna ride the roads and paved trails that i can find.
right now though my endurance and skills are not near what others are.

besides riding bike and eating better to get to my goal weight and such i am into cars and photography.
as for what i am lookin for for a job.....i have 17yrs manufacturing assembly line experience. with some forklift seat time as well. so i have been lookin at related jobs.

thanx for listening.
hope to meet and greet more folks in time.

Monty
musthavemuzk

Postby NoyzSource » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:51 pm

musthavemuzk wrote:not gonna lie though my size and skills say i should keep to the paved rec riding for awhile.

I'm throwing the BS flag on this. You NEED to be on the dirt singletrack! Hell yeah! Burns more energy than paved trails! Don't worry about your skill level. Ride with us. We'll stop and take breaks when we get way ahead of you. Then we'll hit a harder loop and come back to get you while you catch your breath. If you get tired and head back to the parking lot, no hard feelings. Drink a beer and then you can come with us again. Baby steps until you lead the pack.

Welcome and I hope to see you around!
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby DL1030 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:58 pm

i was at sugarbottom to help with a trail day

Hey there, I remember you (your car first, but you too). I am Dave, got there early and was rocking the Jeep but I was talking to you about your 40th Ann. (clean car). I also have a GTP, with a few mods under the hood :)

not gonna lie though my size and skills say i should keep to the paved rec riding for awhile.

Horse manure. My lil bro (6'5" 375+) rides with me when I go out west, he likes to say he has more energy saved up for the downhills. If you want results, ride the single-track.

Good luck on the job hunting and hope to see you around. *cough*Wednesday*cough*
Are you dumb and depressed, ride a mountain bike!
DL1030

Postby Doveski » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:30 pm

I post just a brief hello but wanted to introduce myself a little better. My name is Lucas and I work at Rockwell. Lived in iowa for about 5 years now and recently dusted the cob-webs off my mountain bike. Go to the University of Iowa and between school and work i'm too busy. So i ride when i can.

Plan to ride pretty consistently on the weekends when the weather and trail conditions permit as well as maybe making trips up to decorah. If anyone wants to come with you are more than welcome to join me.

see you on the trails.

Lucas
Doveski

Postby musthavemuzk » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:42 pm

my 40th is pretty stock. little tune to PCM front and rear STB's and thats about it. love it though.
finally got a chance to clean her up from the winter a little bit...then it rained.

i know the results will increase if i singletrack....i am more worried about the needed skills to avoid getting hurt to bad. hell the first spin around the baby loop i about wiped out just going over the tiny roots i saw. had to carry over the tree that was in the way.
i am not saying i will not ride singletrack i just need to take it at my pace. i am not a crazy guy when it comes to bikes or the likes. pretty brave in a car, but that is a whole nother deal.

i appreciate the encouragement though. i know when i started this last year early 20 minutes walking about killed me. then switched to biking for that and well still about killed me. as the summer went i rode longer distance and more time as well. again it was all rec riding around town as that is the only option i had way up in NW MN. now that i have choices i will surely give it a go.

after riding beverly i am thinking when i look at replacing my crank ( i think it has a bend to it from my weight) i am gonna look at going with a 3 sprocket front. it is currently 2x9.

i am thinking i will be there tonight. just have a few things to do first.

thanx again

Monty
musthavemuzk

Postby redrock » Sun May 09, 2010 5:55 pm

My name is Ryan and I ride a stock 2006 Specialized Rockhopper, red, hence redrock ;). I've been out to Beverly a few times on Wednesday nights and made it out last Sunday to help with some garlic mustard. I'm still a beginning rider, but having a blast out there, everyone of you I've met has been great. I'm looking forward to making as many rides as I can at Beverly and Sugarbottom. I'm getting more comfortable with the trails and my bike every week. I look forward to meeting more of you out there. Happy riding!
redrock

Postby defygiants » Wed Oct 06, 2010 9:16 pm

hi all, new mtn biker here. been into road cycling for a while and saw greenfast22's youtube videos of riding the thomas park trails. inspired me to take my $25 wal-mart mongoose kids mtn bike over there and try it out. had a BLAST. even put up my own youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QzbtJQ1oL4. today i went to beverly park for a couple hours and i think i'm officially hooked now. had so much fun. amazing place. unfortunately my $25 mongoose couldn't handle it and is now unrideable. destroyed. :lol: . so if anyone here has a used mountain bike for sale i'd definitely be interested. can't afford a brand new one right now. thank you all for the hard work you have put into building these trails for everyone else to enjoy. being out on those beverly park trails truly felt like a life changing experience. i'm going to be spending many, many hours on these trails. once i get a bike of course. see yall around.
defygiants

PreviousNext

Return to Meet & Greet / Lounge / Chit Chat