Introduce Yourself

Welcome to the forum. Introduce yourself, check out and participate in discussions about mountain biking and all sorts of related fun...

Used mt bike

Postby dfleck » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:12 am

Check your pm's :wink:
dfleck

Re: Introduce Yourself

Postby defygiants » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:46 pm

sounds like dave here^ is gonna hook me up with a nice bike! ill be in beverly park tomorrow evening i hope. :dance:
defygiants

Postby SoukriAl » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:28 am

Hello! I'm Al, I started riding last summer. I'm based in Iowa City, so I spent all of last year at Sugar. Hopefully I'll make it up this summer. I can't wait for the trails to open. I find myself accidentally holding my breath while I check trail conditions and forums to see what's going on.

Here is a link to my bike:

http://bikesarethesolution.wordpress.co ... oo-soukri/

Have fun!
-Al
SoukriAl

Postby crrimson » Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:14 pm

welcome to the forums! We're all looking forward to riding Beverly and Sugar again too. Come out on a Wednesday night some time and ride and have a few beers with us.

SoukriAl wrote:Hello! I'm Al, I started riding last summer. I'm based in Iowa City, so I spent all of last year at Sugar. Hopefully I'll make it up this summer. I can't wait for the trails to open. I find myself accidentally holding my breath while I check trail conditions and forums to see what's going on.

Here is a link to my bike:

http://bikesarethesolution.wordpress.co ... oo-soukri/

Have fun!
-Al
crrimson

Postby JackRackham19 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:11 am

Hi there,
I'm a college student at ISU, but interning here in CR for a while. I grew up in CR and have been a cyclist as long as I can remember. I just hopped on a mountain bike a couple of years ago and have really only been exploring Beverly and Sugar Bottom. I'm excited to check out more of the places closer to home. For the record: JackRackham comes from my favorite pirate.
Keep your cadence up, see you on the trails.
JackRackham19

Postby urbanbigfoot » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:48 pm

JackRackham19 wrote:Hi there,
I'm a college student at ISU, but interning here in CR for a while. I grew up in CR and have been a cyclist as long as I can remember. I just hopped on a mountain bike a couple of years ago and have really only been exploring Beverly and Sugar Bottom. I'm excited to check out more of the places closer to home. For the record: JackRackham comes from my favorite pirate.

Welcome JackRackham. Hope your are enjoying the trials around the area. Chances are, we'll meet out on the trails. You'll have to make it out for a Wednesday group ride at Beverly - it's a great time to meet some of the local riders.

For the record, my favorite pirate is Captain Morgan. He is a very good friend of mine.
When I was a kid, I rode bikes. Now I ride bikes and act like a kid. Some things never change.
urbanbigfoot

Postby DL1030 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:28 pm

You'll have to make it out for a Wednesday group ride at Beverly - it's a great time to meet some of the local riders.

He did one better, he showed up for a work day! Heck yeah! Too bad you have to wait to be paid for your work, the first PBR will be on me!
Are you dumb and depressed, ride a mountain bike!
DL1030

Postby crrimson » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:13 pm

DL1030 wrote:
You'll have to make it out for a Wednesday group ride at Beverly - it's a great time to meet some of the local riders.

He did one better, he showed up for a work day! Heck yeah! Too bad you have to wait to be paid for your work, the first PBR will be on me!

Thanks for coming to the work day and helping out, so good to see new people out working on trails!
crrimson

Postby jnecessary » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:52 am

Hello all,

Jim here. I'm a noob to MTB and have only ridden Beverly once and a couple loops at Sugar so far. Came out a couple week ago on a weekend and ran into Urbanbigfoot I think with my buddy Kurt.

I tried posting in another thread about where to take a day trip to escape the wet trails this weekend and got a note saying that a mod would have to approve my post so I thought I should introduce myself as well.

and yes, my last name is Necessary, crazy am I right?
jnecessary

Postby urbanbigfoot » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:21 am

Welcome to the forum Jim...and to MTBing too. There is a lot of great information passed around on the forum that is very helpful for anyone getting into MTBing.

See you on the trails!

-UB
When I was a kid, I rode bikes. Now I ride bikes and act like a kid. Some things never change.
urbanbigfoot

Postby Conrad 37988 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 6:20 pm

My name is Kurt

I am an Am Disc Golfer trying to make my way to the rank of Pro. I dusted off my bike when my buddy Jim said he was going to start MTN Biking, and he was looking for people to ride with. I've rode Beverly a few times, and I really enjoy it.

Here is a pic of my bike that I got in 04.

Here is a vid that caught Jim and I on a break at Beverly 3:04.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RFZuClvb34

Hope to see you out on the trails.
Conrad 37988

Postby bigfish » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:38 am

Hello, I'm Eric. I'm 36 and live on the SW side of CR. I've just been "reborn" into the world of biking after a long absence. I did alot of riding when growing up in Montana and at college in Idaho, but stopped after moving to the midwest. After doing spin classes all winter at the MAC I knew the trek gathering dust in my garage must be resurrected. I commute almost daily to downtown for work, but decided to strip the racks off and give beverly park a try. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful stuff. 2 hrs riding the trails is better than any cardio workout I've encounter in my life. I'm looking forward to riding all the trails in the area and volunteering when the 3 kids give me a break. If you see me on the trail or the CVNT say "hi". I'm the guy on the green and grey trek mtn bike with huge smile.

Never stop moving forward- Mark
bigfish

Postby NoyzSource » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:45 pm

I think you are an imposter. I'm Eric, I'm 35, and I live on the SW side. I'm also a minivan owner. You can't be me. :P
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby jonjanks » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:55 pm

Hey guys,

This is Jonathan Jenkins.
I'm a senior at Kennedy and love to ride anything and everything. Barker's introduced me to some of you and I've met some other of you guys on my own.
I'm glad I finally got in on the forum! Look forward to seeing ya out on the trails!
jonjanks

Postby Nikolai » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:56 pm

Hey,
I'm new here (obviously). I'm a junior in high school and I just started mountain biking this year after stumbling across the trail in Thomas park last fall. My friend and I went in before it snowed to clear some of the larger brush out of the way for sledding and the mountain biking trail is on the same hill (I hadn't been there without snow since it was part of the disc golf course). I live about a 10 minute ride from both Thomas Park and Squaw Creek, and have only been out about 5 times but I'm having a great time so far. I haven't met anyone on the trails yet, but I'll probably see one of you eventually. I saw your sign in Thomas Park which led me to the forums.

That's about it.
Nick
Nikolai

Postby crrimson » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:21 pm

I'm sure you'll meet ILuvTechnical out at Thomas, he built and maintains them. Glad you're enjoying the trails, hope to see you around some time, make sure and check out Beverly and Sugar Bottom too!

Nikolai wrote:Hey,
I'm new here (obviously). I'm a junior in high school and I just started mountain biking this year after stumbling across the trail in Thomas park last fall. My friend and I went in before it snowed to clear some of the larger brush out of the way for sledding and the mountain biking trail is on the same hill (I hadn't been there without snow since it was part of the disc golf course). I live about a 10 minute ride from both Thomas Park and Squaw Creek, and have only been out about 5 times but I'm having a great time so far. I haven't met anyone on the trails yet, but I'll probably see one of you eventually. I saw your sign in Thomas Park which led me to the forums.

That's about it.
Nick
crrimson

Postby Bear » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:41 pm

My name is Cameron and just a few weeks ago I transplanted to Coralville from Columbia, MO. I'm 22 and will be starting to UI in the fall. I've been out to Sugar Bottom a few times already and have had some good fun out there but haven't had the opportunity to check out the other trail systems in the area yet. I look forward to meeting you all out in the dirt (when I get my bike fixed, I found a nice crack in my frame this morning.... anyone have a 20ish inch 29er frame they are looking to sell? I'm assuming Kona isn't going to warranty me a new one.)
Bear

Postby iLuvTechnical » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:39 am

Bear wrote:My name is Cameron and just a few weeks ago I transplanted to Coralville from Columbia, MO. I'm 22 and will be starting to UI in the fall. I've been out to Sugar Bottom a few times already and have had some good fun out there but haven't had the opportunity to check out the other trail systems in the area yet. I look forward to meeting you all out in the dirt (when I get my bike fixed, I found a nice crack in my frame this morning.... anyone have a 20ish inch 29er frame they are looking to sell? I'm assuming Kona isn't going to warranty me a new one.)

Welcome Bear!
If you really want to experience some awesome trails, people, and activities; you should join us at the Midwest Mountain Bike Festival in a week from tomorrow :dance:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1915
There is always someplace in the world dry enough for kick'n up a little dirt.
FIND IT AND LET THE REST OF US KNOW!
iLuvTechnical

Postby creseis » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:02 pm

Hi,

I live in upstate NY, but I might be moving to Cedar Rapids and I was wondering how many areas there are to ride in the region? I mostly ride cross country mtb, but I also road ride a bit and I started cyclocross racing last year. How many miles of singletrack are there in each area/state park/state forest? Are mountain bikers very actively involved in trail maintenance and building? Is there a lot of technical riding, or mostly smooth/fast/flowy stuff? [I like both :)]

Thanks!
creseis

Postby NoyzSource » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:21 am

Within 30 minutes of Cedar Rapids:
Beverly Park approx 5 miles of singletrack - mostly flowy, some technical features.
Thomas/Legion Park over 1 mile of technical singletrack
Squaw Creek Park approx 2 miles of singletrack - still in active development of technical features
Sugar Bottom approx 12 miles of singletrack - flowy, hilly, and technical

Within 60 minutes of Cedar Rapids:
http://CVAST.org

Within 90 minutes of Cedar Rapids:
http://qcforc.org - 4 sweet systems maintained by FORC within 2 hours of CR.
Camp Ingnawanis to the North - never been there so I can't comment.

Roughly 2 hours:
Des Moines Area - http://www.centraliowatrails.org/blog/
Decorah - Do you like to climb on a bike? 20+ miles of trails. http://bikedecorah.blogspot.com/

I'm hoping to work on http://MTBIowa.org some more this month to glue all this info together better.

Linn Area Mt Bike Association http://LAMBAonline.org does the trail work for Beverly, Legion, and Squaw Creek. LAMBA has 2 board members on the Linn County Trails Association to push DIRT at the county level. LAMBA is also working on an assessment and acquiring funds to get professionally built trails at Squaw Creek and some other county parks.

Iowa Coalition of Off Road Riders http://ICORRmtb.org maintains the Sugar Bottom trails. VERY nice trail system in partnership with Corp of Engineers.

Iowa City (IC) is about 30 minutes south of CR. IC is the home of the University of Iowa and they have a pretty active biking community that hosts various types of rides/races on road, gravel, and singletrack.

3 or 4 cyclocross races in the immediate area every year and many more within the 2 hour drive.
Lots of roadie action too. http://hawkeyebike.org with races out at Squaw Creek and racing on the paved stock car racing oval. RAGBRAI every year. This year it is coming through Cedar Rapids for a night.

Let us not forget about the gravel grinders and winter riding on snowmobile paths either. Skinny tires to huge fat tires, Iowa has it.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Meet & Greet / Lounge / Chit Chat