Is it a dab?

Welcome to the forum. Introduce yourself, check out and participate in discussions about mountain biking and all sorts of related fun...

Is it a dab?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:32 am

It's still a dab if you hold yourself up with a tree
83%
A dab is only if you put your foot down
17%

Total votes : 6

Is it a dab?

Postby Farmboy » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:32 am

On a recent ride in the wonderful trails of Marion, IA, I was presented with a challenge by ILT on a new addition to Thomas Park. The challenge was to ride the new section (which is not yet complete) in reverse without dabbing. Should I be successful, a tallboy was headed my way. By default, I feel these challenges are two way bets unless agreed upon otherwise before the challenge begins. I will admit that I failed in my attempt. However, ILT, in my opinion failed as well. At one point, ILT lost traction and began to topple sideways. Rather than putting his foot down, he grabbed a tree, righted himself while remaining stopped for a moment. I consider this a dab. He does not. As we all know, trying to convince ILT that he is wrong (even when he clearly is) is a futile task to attempt. I usually just roll my eyes and move on, which is what I did here. I also bought him an oil can of High Life. Not because I thought he deserved it, but because I just wanted to see what it was like to do something nice. As it turns out, this action has come back to haunt me by this post: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1923 . I will no longer be doing nice things for anyone, ever, unless I have ulterior/alterior motives.

So, fellow mtb'ers, I am not the reigning authority on the semantics of mountain biking terminology. So it is up to you to be the judge and jury on this. I consider a dab to be any action other than the normal process of riding that helps a rider clean a section that they would have otherwise failed upon. In other words, you either clean the section or you don't. In this case, Chris grabbed a tree to keep from having to touch his foot on the ground to remain upright. He sees it differently. He says a dab, as is defined in the urban dictionary, only happens if you touch your foot to the ground.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Is it a dab?

Postby Rage » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:36 am

Foot to ground = dab.
Hand to tree = dub.
Both = Fail.

Rg.
Mean people suck.
Rage

Re: Is it a dab?

Postby Ken » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:37 pm

BikeTrials.com wrote:The riders attempt to negotiate each section without putting down a foot or hand (dab).

Dab - Any contact which provides support for the rider (other than pedal or skid plate).

Furthermore, via UCI rules... if any part of the bike except the tires touch any object in the course, a dab will be given.
Ken
Site Admin

Postby iLuvTechnical » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:56 am

Farmboy wrote:...At one point, ILT lost traction and began to topple sideways. Rather than putting his foot down, he grabbed a tree, righted himself while remaining stopped for a moment. I consider this a dab. He does not. As we all know, trying to convince ILT that he is wrong (even when he clearly is) is a futile task to attempt... In this case, Chris grabbed a tree to keep from having to touch his foot on the ground to remain upright. He sees it differently. He says a dab, as is defined in the urban dictionary, only happens if you touch your foot to the ground.

Okay,
#1: Maybe it's my old age or from a bump on the head I don't remember getting or happening during this mystical sequence of events, but I don't ever remember having a conversation about the definition of what a "dab" is or is not, let alone mentioning the "Urban Dictionary".

#2: I would agree (I know u may find that unbelievable) w/ Rage and Farmboy that a "dub" or "dab" = equal fail.

Here it comes...

However

#3: I, for the life of me can't seem to recall this so called "lost of traction" and "using a tree to right myself" incident.

What I do remember:

I blew past Farmboy after SUCCESSFULLY making it up the rocks where he FAILED and was getting ready to attempt it again (btw, way to give it a second and even a third try Farmboy...it takes conviction to continually try, try again...I'm proud you had that "little engine that could" attitude). About 10 yards after the rocks is a switchback. Knowing Farmboy was going to give clearing the rocks that eluded him the first time another try; I used the switchback (which would have me facing the direction I needed to be facing to watch Farmboy) as an opportunity to view the impending show. And yes, I held onto a tree on the switchback to help keep me "parked" will waiting for the 2nd and 3rd acts to begin.

If that is the tree of which Farmboy was referring; then I confess.

BUT,

If it was a tree that I used to balance myself after getting a stick in my rear derailer; then I have to question how he knew I actually did that without him stopping himself (therefore touching the ground) to see me, b/c he was ahead of me and out of view.

If that is the tree, then I have to ask:
Come'on, aren't you the least bit impressed that I got a stick caught in my derailer and STILL managed to not touch the ground?!! Don't I deserve a mulligan?

If it is the tree on the switchback that I used to watch the show:
Really? :violin:
There is always someplace in the world dry enough for kick'n up a little dirt.
FIND IT AND LET THE REST OF US KNOW!
iLuvTechnical

Postby Farmboy » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:56 pm

As usual, ILT 5 days later with a response now that the public has voted against him.

I looked back (actually to my right since I was headed north on the switchback ahead of you going south) because I heard the familiar grunt of someone about to fall on their a$$. You can tell all the stories you want as how or why. I was there, I saw what I saw and I have no reason to embellish. I still made good on the oil can and was happy just to share a beer under a shade tree with a friend after a good ride. You're the one who had to try to blast me about it in that other thread.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby Ken » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:08 pm

Ken
Site Admin

Return to Meet & Greet / Lounge / Chit Chat