Trail status Android app (RFC)

Welcome to the forum. Introduce yourself, check out and participate in discussions about mountain biking and all sorts of related fun...

Trail status Android app (RFC)

Postby Jaxon » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:36 pm

I've thrown this Android app together in my spare time. It pulls trail status from lambaonline.org, icorrmtb.org and qcforc.org and shows them all on one screen. Tapping on each one shows an image or downloads a PDF trail map. It's cobbled together right now since I haven't tried to set up official, permanent URLs to download any of the files, so it could break in the future until that is done.

There's no real status for Squaw Creek or Thomas, so they are hard coded yellow, but the trail maps still open.

I'm just posting here to see how many people have Android devices and would use the app (it would be free). I haven't posted it to the Android Market, err... Google Play Store since I don't have a developer account which charges a fee to sign up. If you want to try the app, I can email it if you PM our address, or maybe the forum will let me post it as an attachment.
Attachments
eiamtbtrailstatus.png
App screenshot
eiamtbtrailstatus.png (50 KiB) Viewed 3716 times
Jaxon

Re: Trail status Android app (RFC)

Postby Farmboy » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:50 pm

I would most def use this.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby jnecessary » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:36 am

i'll use it. if you have a drop box account you could probably link the APK for sharing it.
jnecessary

Postby Jaxon » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:49 pm

I put it on a public Dropbox download:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/67603431/MtbTrailStatus.apk

People will need to go to Settings/Applications on their phone and check "Unknown sources" before it will install since it's outside Google Play (formerly Android Market).
Jaxon

Postby Charleswv » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:55 am

Awesome! However, Sugarbottom doesn't come up? Love having this man, thanks!
- Chucky V
aka c wagon

Bike - Gary Fisher X-Caliber '09
Crank Bros Eggbeater SL pedals
Salsa Pro-Moto Carbon Flat bar
Bontrager Race XXX Lite stem
Charleswv

Postby jnecessary » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:18 am

Charleswv wrote:Awesome! However, Sugarbottom doesn't come up? Love having this man, thanks!

I think Sugar is jacked up right now, probably left off until the status is fixed. Works great, thanks!
jnecessary

Postby Jaxon » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:20 am

Sugar Bottom doesn't load because their domain expired on 3/16.

http://www.networksolutions.com/whois-s ... orrmtb.org

The status was wrong anyway because they were having technical difficulties getting the open status image updated. We will have to use their Lamebook wall for now.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/ICORR/105507021120?v=wall

A future version of the app will hopefully support long press on each trail that will show a menu to go to the website, forum, trail map, driving directions, FB and Twitter.
Jaxon

Postby Garasaki » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:13 pm

I'll use this too. Thanks!!
Garasaki

Postby Jaxon » Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:35 pm

The app has been updated with support for long pressing on the sections to bring up a menu with options to open a browser to the website, forum or trail maps. Same Dropbox URL as above.
Jaxon

Postby jnecessary » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:55 am

Jaxon wrote:The app has been updated with support for long pressing on the sections to bring up a menu with options to open a browser to the website, forum or trail maps. Same Dropbox URL as above.

Love the update!
jnecessary

Postby urbanbigfoot » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:44 am

Very cool idea man! I was thinking about building an iPhone app, but maybe something along the lines of a mobile web app, that does the same type of thing for those who do not have the Android OS. I sort of wish I had an Android phone just so I could use this app.
When I was a kid, I rode bikes. Now I ride bikes and act like a kid. Some things never change.
urbanbigfoot

Postby Jaxon » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:57 am

I'm not equipped to develop for iPhone, so I was thinking of making a web app version. I think nozysource and/or I could put together something using HTML & Javascript (and PHP if necessary).
Jaxon

Postby Jaxon » Wed Mar 21, 2012 11:22 am

OK, here's simple HTML to consolidate the status of LAMBA/ICORR/FORC. It could use improvements like preventing the page from caching, setting the background color of "Beverly Park" to match the image, and cropping the ICORR image, but those things would need to be done with code like PHP or Perl. Could also somehow link to websites, forums, trail maps, FB, Twitter, etc.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/67603431/mtbtrailstatus.html

Edit: Added meta tags that may prevent page caching, and hacked some CSS to crop the ICORR image.
Jaxon

Postby Jaxon » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:47 pm

The app has been updated (same URL as above) with a couple enhancements. One is a spinning progress animation while the trail statuses are being retrieved. Second is a new item on the long press menu to show recent precipitation on the Weather Underground history page. It shows the official daily airport rain total. There is a way to retrieve CSV format so I could show the data in app, but I don't know if they'd appreciate me scraping their content without a license or attribution. I could look into implementing weather data in app if enough people yell loudly enough for it.
Jaxon

Postby jnecessary » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:37 pm

Keeps getting better! Thanks man! I dunno if weather in app is needed unless you really get bored. Especially when you can click the recent precip and jump to weather right there.
jnecessary

Postby Garasaki » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:43 pm

Does the app update automatically or do I have to ...like...do stuff... :doh:
Garasaki

Postby crrimson » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:06 pm

Can't wait to get a decent phone so I can try this out. Looks great.
crrimson

Postby Jaxon » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:53 pm

Garasaki wrote:Does the app update automatically or do I have to ...like...do stuff... :doh:

You have to download the apk file at the link again to get the new version. It's not on Google Play yet, but maybe one of these days.
Jaxon

Postby Jaxon » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:35 pm

The Android app and HTML page have been updated to use the new Squaw Creek trail status. The Android app may have to be uninstalled before it will install because I signed it with a new key.

Same locations as before.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/676 ... Status.apk
http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6760 ... tatus.html
Jaxon

Postby Jaxon » Sun Apr 13, 2014 9:14 am

The app and HTML page have been updated with a few changes. Same download URLs as previously.

- The LAMBA image URLs have been corrected
- A placeholder has been added for Clear Creek with a trail map that downloads when pressed
- The FORC Lamebook page has been added to the long press menu
- The FORC iframe on the HTML page has been enlarged so it doesn't scroll

Note that some of the settings menu checkboxes might be incorrect now if any were unchecked because of Clear Creek being inserted.
Jaxon

Return to Meet & Greet / Lounge / Chit Chat