New Place to ride in Coralville!

Welcome to the forum. Introduce yourself, check out and participate in discussions about mountain biking and all sorts of related fun...

New Place to ride in Coralville!

Postby Paulz1265 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:28 pm

I've been working on some trails on Coralville, just south of the Coralville strip.

The trail starts at the Mormon Handcart park, and ends at the paved Coralville bike path, across the street from Applebee's on the strip. This trail goes through the woods near a creek, and is very pretty. It is mostly an easy trail with only a couple steep hills. There are many cool things to look at including a tree bridge, and a few different colored metal bridges made from futons.

I posted 50 pictures of the trail in the photo gallery here:
http://lambaonline.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1288

This is a map of the trail:

Paulz1265

Re: New Place to ride in Coralville!

Postby NoyzSource » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:35 am

That's cool.

How much does it take for that to flood?
How long does it take to dry out after a rain?
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby Jaxon » Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:40 am

I'm curious about who owns the land and whether someone has received permission to build trails and ride there. There are usually liability concerns even if it is city owned land. I'd also like some assurance that there aren't near future plans to do something else with the property that would mean construction equipment destroying the hard work of us building trails there. Geez, I sound like a lawyer or an IMBA director.
Jaxon

Postby urbanbigfoot » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:21 am

It would be cool to have another place to ride around the Corridor. I could see making it a day just in our own neighborhood. But I agree w/ Jaxon...we need a few answers.
When I was a kid, I rode bikes. Now I ride bikes and act like a kid. Some things never change.
urbanbigfoot

Postby NoyzSource » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:29 pm

He isn't asking us to come down and build the trail or have it be an official LAMBA trail. He is just telling us about it so we can ride it. If you feel like helping out then go ahead and help. If you feel there is too much unknown risk then don't help out. At a minimum you can ride it to help keep the tread clear.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby OnlyInAJeep » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:44 pm

There was a trail to the west of the path across from applebee's too, there is a key bridge that floated away and a lot of bank erosion occured during the '07 floods on that side though. I thought that the trail and bridges on the west were originally built by scouts, 'Camp Cardinal' nearby and all...

old thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=908&p=4951#p4951
OnlyInAJeep

Postby Paulz1265 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:47 pm

The trail is fairly water resistant. I added small bridges in the muddy areas, so it's not too bad, even after light to moderate rain. The trail flooded once this year after we had heavy rain daily for almost 2 weeks. There was about a foot of water in the low areas, but the trail didn't get damaged at all from it. It was very muddy out there on Saturday, but the awesome weather on Sunday and Monday let it all dry up.

The trails are on land that belongs to the City of Coralville. This isn't an official trail yet, but the city knows about it and wants the trails to be there. We're currently working with them to make it "ok" to be out there. Meanwhile, lots of people already go out there to walk dogs and ride bikes.

This land is a low lying area with lots of water ways and trees. It's not good land for building - it will probably always be a forest.
Paulz1265

Postby Paulz1265 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:01 pm

The west side trails are also still there, but two long bridges are needed. I explored that trail a little bit. The first creek crossing will need a bridge that's about 25 feet long. It's going to take a lot of work to get that section back into good condition - that's why I focused my efforts to the smaller south side.
Paulz1265

Postby NoyzSource » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:52 pm

is there a trail on the north side of that creek? You have a blue line there but it doesn't seem to loop or go anywhere.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby Paulz1265 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:00 pm

Your observation about the north side is correct. That trail does not have a loop, nor does it go anywhere. It is also overgrown with weeds at the moment. I have more work to do before the north side is ready.
Paulz1265

Postby crrimson » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:58 pm

Thanks Paul!!

Always happy to hear about new trails! I'll have to make the trip one of these days to ride it. It looks like you guys put some hard work in out there. Welcome to the forums!
crrimson

Postby Charleswv » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:32 am

I attempted to ride this trail last night, and actually ended up hike-a-biking most of it. Sorry, I don't mean to offend, but here's my critique of what I saw.

I parked near Applebee's, and started in from there.

The north side of the creek - if I found the right trail, it didn't last long, only about 50 yards, and it came to a dead end.

Went across the paved trail bridge, and started out on the trail there. It was pretty decent for a while, but got pretty muddy, and I was leaving ruts. Got to the red bridge, and was not impressed with it. It seems to be clogging water flow on one side, so it has too much in the way. The futon frame isn't ideal. Also, the ends of the bridge are cement, which is getting bogged down with water, and will eventually cause some erosion on both sides.

Also, the trail gets dangerously close to the creek, especially when the creek makes a turn, which will eventually cause the trail to erode away when the water gets high. Not very sustainable.

Finally, I turned around when I got to this weird drop of about 8 feet, which had about a 2 foot hump right in the middle. This seems like a very dangerous drop, and will need to be reworked so somebody doesn't lose their "boys" or worse on it. There is a great path around it that should be utilized.

In all, its a good effort, but more work needs to be done on sustainability. It does not shed water very well, as there are tons of low spots, poor bridge design, and the route needs to be reworked.

Paul - don't take this all the wrong way though man. Its a good effort, and can become a fun little trail, that can last, if the right changes are made. Hit me with a PM, and we can talk about it sometime.

To all - ride this trail, its worth the time. It probably shouldn't be ridden if Sugar is closed. The watershed is about the same.
- Chucky V
aka c wagon

Bike - Gary Fisher X-Caliber '09
Crank Bros Eggbeater SL pedals
Salsa Pro-Moto Carbon Flat bar
Bontrager Race XXX Lite stem
Charleswv

Postby crrimson » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:16 am

Paul,
Thanks for posting this. About 2/3 of the posts in this thread are negative. This guy took it upon himself to build trails where there were none, posted on this forum to let others know about his hard work and something new to ride nearby, and gets nothing but criticism for it. $#@! that. If you want to criticize the work of someone who put effort into this, and you have a better trail system you built, please post some photos.
crrimson

Postby NoyzSource » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:07 am

I think so far the criticism has been mostly constructive. I haven't seen any personal bashing.

Paulz put a lot of work in and opened the trail up for discussion by posting about it here. As such he has to be ready for the negative along with the positive. If you check out any of Paulz's previous projects you will see that he has a way of making stuff work and I'm sure he has thick enough skin to recognize these aren't criticisms of himself.

Let's check the trail out now and provide our feedback like Chuck did. Paulz clearly stated the North side wasn't ready and the south side was rideable but not complete. The area seems to be a very challenging area for building trails with moisture and creek crossings.

Paulz - have you taken any of the IMBA training or checked out the IMBA guidelines? They are a good resource for taking care of some of the trouble spots. Keep up the good work, we know it isn't easy to do.
NoyzSource
Site Admin

Postby Benji » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:08 am

Paulz1265 wrote:
The trails are on land that belongs to the City of Coralville. This isn't an official trail yet, but the city knows about it and wants the trails to be there. We're currently working with them to make it "ok" to be out there. Meanwhile, lots of people already go out there to walk dogs and ride bikes.

I believe the land is owned by the State of Iowa for the University of Iowa. It is known as the University of Iowa Outdoor Research Area. I used to ride/run these trails while attending school...it's good to see them revived.

Good work and Good luck on future work.
Benji

Postby Paulz1265 » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:31 pm

Thank you to everyone who has checked out the Coralville trails and I appreciate the comments!

To Charles: I agree with you that the trail can use many improvements. This summer I've been the only person working on it, so progress may be slow. The red bridge actually doesn't block anything - it sits in the mud so you don't have to get in it. I think the steep hill in the middle is fun the way it is - the re-route is there for those who choose not to ride it. Plus I've found it's impossible to ride up the part with the hump - tried it many times, always failed. haha What you found on the North side is my attempt to make a new entrance to the trails through the field. The trail starts in the woods. Maybe this fall I can get out there and work on that part a little more. Thanks again for enjoying the trail!

I haven't had a lot of free time in the last month or so because I'm taking classes at the University and working. I do get out there occasionally for maintenance, or just to get away from homework. My newest project in the works is a log section at the bottom of the steep downhill near the Mormon Handcart Park entrance. The downhill ends in a low lying area that is muddy the majority of the time. When you get to the bottom of the hill, there is a "boardwalk" made of logs, about 70 feet long. I plan on making this part even longer - somewhere between 200 and 300 feet. I originally thought this part would need a lot more work to be rideable, but I took my full suspension enduro out there today and it was pretty easy. About 1/3 of the trees out there are completely dead, so building materials are plentiful.

I also plan on putting in a faster downhill section. I'll post pictures when that happens.
Paulz1265

Postby hildebrandz » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:46 pm

Living only 1.5mi from this trail and biking/running past it many times during XC season - I had to check it out this afternoon. Ran into Paul and his friend who were hard at work adding more on the south side of the creek. I haven't downloaded my ride data from my Garmin yet but I had a shade over 2 miles riding all the trails on the south side(including the new one). Didn't get a chance to explore the north side yet. Definitely going to try and ride it more before the snow starts falling. Thanks again Paul for getting this project up and running again! :clap:

Josh
hildebrandz

no riding in Cville

Postby DL1030 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 1:55 pm

snippet taken from Cville on the use of trails.

There is to be no work on mountain bike trails in the Clear Creek Greenbelt regardless of north or south of the creek at this time.

no one should be cutting, working, riding off road in this area. If you notice any activity, please contact the Coralville Police Department.

Read that again, no RIDING either. please stay away from these trails until further notice.
Are you dumb and depressed, ride a mountain bike!
DL1030

Re: no riding in Cville

Postby crrimson » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:15 pm

DL1030 wrote:snippet taken from Cville on the use of trails.
There is to be no work on mountain bike trails in the Clear Creek Greenbelt regardless of north or south of the creek at this time.
no one should be cutting, working, riding off road in this area. If you notice any activity, please contact the Coralville Police Department.

Read that again, no RIDING either. please stay away from these trails until further notice.

Do you have a link to this? What's the deal? I still never made it out to try these.
crrimson

Postby DL1030 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:35 pm

hopefully ICORR or Cville will post an official update somewhere.

But for now, i wont get into the details. All we need to know is they are working to get this area approved but until it is official, no one is to be out there.
Are you dumb and depressed, ride a mountain bike!
DL1030

Next

Return to Meet & Greet / Lounge / Chit Chat