New Place to ride in Coralville!

Welcome to the forum. Introduce yourself, check out and participate in discussions about mountain biking and all sorts of related fun...

Re: New Place to ride in Coralville!

Postby hildebrandz » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:30 pm

DL1030 wrote:hopefully ICORR or Cville will post an official update somewhere.

Definitely will be on the lookout for the official update. Using the Johnson County Assessors website I was able to back up Benji's original thoughts on who owns it - the State of Iowa - http://beacon.schneidercorp.com/Application.aspx?AppID=86&LayerID=841&PageTypeID=1&PageID=1483&Q=1686176137

If you pan out and head west http://beacon.schneidercorp.com/Application.aspx?AppID=86&LayerID=841&PageTypeID=1&PageID=1483&Q=270509022 you'll see there is only a small portion which is in Coralville city limits - which makes me wonder if the Coralville police have jurisdiction to do something if someone rides the eastern part of the trail.

I'd also be curious to know if walkers are being told to stay off the trails too as I saw a handful the times I was able to ride them.

Keeping my fingers crossed this gets straightened out - it's not too difficult of a trail to ride but sure was nice to hit on the way home from work. Guess I'll have to ride the Tricross instead of the Pugsley and take the long way home.
hildebrandz

Postby Farmboy » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:24 am

But for now, i wont get into the details. All we need to know is they are working to get this area approved but until it is official, no one is to be out there.

I don't know the details, but I know a few things are in the works in this area that could hinge upon how mountain bikers react to and respect these situations. For the greater good and for long term purpose and directions, take the high road on this. Heed this request and demand. One rut, one sighting, one encounter could hinder the progress of trailbuilding possibilities that people have worked hard to develop unbeknowst to many. Please don't jeopardize that.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby hildebrandz » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:30 pm

Farmboy wrote:

But for now, i wont get into the details. All we need to know is they are working to get this area approved but until it is official, no one is to be out there.

I don't know the details, but I know a few things are in the works in this area that could hinge upon how mountain bikers react to and respect these situations. For the greater good and for long term purpose and directions, take the high road on this. Heed this request and demand. One rut, one sighting, one encounter could hinder the progress of trailbuilding possibilities that people have worked hard to develop unbeknowst to many. Please don't jeopardize that.

Farmboy & DL1030 - you guys seem to be more in the loop with what's happening. Is there anything the rest of us in the Iowa City/Coralville area can do to help the process? Any meetings to attend? Emails to send? I'll post this same question in the ICORR website and see if anyone there has any answers too.
hildebrandz

Postby Farmboy » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:52 pm

Like I said, I don't know details, but I know there are some future trail possibilities in that area that could be destroyed if somebody pisses in the wrong persons cheerios by ignoring those signs.
If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough.
Farmboy

Postby iLuvTechnical » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:31 pm

Patience folks. Be happy that there are people spending their VALUABLE time meeting w/ the correct decision-makers to get through all the red tape on your behalves. I for one am glad there are people willing to go thru all that BS so I can just swing a McLoud!
There is always someplace in the world dry enough for kick'n up a little dirt.
FIND IT AND LET THE REST OF US KNOW!
iLuvTechnical

Postby crrimson » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:07 pm

:naughty: ALL YOUR DIRT ARE BELONG TO CORALVILLE
crrimson

Postby OnlyInAJeep » Fri Nov 19, 2010 8:14 pm

Are there signs? 99.976% of the folk using that trail will not see this thread to know not to ride/walk/drag deer/run upon it.

McCloud

McLeod

:)
OnlyInAJeep

Postby hendsc » Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:53 pm

Yeah. I've ridden out there a few times. I don't think I've ever seen any signs saying not to ride off the main paved trail.
hendsc

Postby hildebrandz » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:22 pm

OnlyInAJeep wrote:Are there signs? 99.976% of the folk using that trail will not see this thread to know not to ride/walk/drag deer/run upon it.
:)

No signs at either end of the trails - I rode on the paved trail this morning to checkout the trail heads. Would be nice if Coralville would place some Trail Closed signs there so others know not to use it also.
hildebrandz

Postby konabiker » Mon Nov 22, 2010 2:58 pm

signs are being made by coralville and will be installed soon

yes the land belongs to state of iowa/university of iowa. the university wants to gift the land to coralville and coralville wants icorr to maintain mountain bike trails on it. it needs the board of regents approval and that may take some time. we're meeting with coralville monthly to work out all the details.

please be patient. do get involved by joining icorr. we're also in talks with iowa city. and lots of plans for sugar bottom.
konabiker

Postby hendsc » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:09 pm

Apparently the area has some trees and/or plants native to Iowa. Coralville doesn't want people out there destroying those native species. So, definitely stay out until it is an official trail.
hendsc

Postby hildebrandz » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:21 pm

konabiker wrote:signs are being made by coralville and will be installed soon

yes the land belongs to state of iowa/university of iowa. the university wants to gift the land to coralville and coralville wants icorr to maintain mountain bike trails on it. it needs the board of regents approval and that may take some time. we're meeting with coralville monthly to work out all the details.

please be patient. do get involved by joining icorr. we're also in talks with iowa city. and lots of plans for sugar bottom.

Thanks Konabiker - that's what I was looking for. Noticed some reroutes planned for Sugar Bottom when I was out there Saturday afternoon. Exciting times - please let us know if there is anything I/we can do to help.
hildebrandz

Postby hildebrandz » Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:11 am

konabiker wrote:signs are being made by coralville and will be installed soon

Saw this picture this afternoon as I rode the paved trail home today. It was posted on the south side of the paved trail just east of Camp Cardinal Rd - still nothing on the trailheads we road last month.

hildebrandz

Postby hildebrandz » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:38 pm

This sign looks familiar. http://30thcentury.wordpress.com/2011/11/17/ecological-illogicality/

Any new news on the greenbelt trails?
hildebrandz

Postby crrimson » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:15 pm

hildebrandz wrote:This sign looks familiar. http://30thcentury.wordpress.com/2011/11/17/ecological-illogicality/

Any new news on the greenbelt trails?

This thread is depressing. Thanks for the link to the blog though, I almost forgot about these.
crrimson

Postby johnny » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:16 pm

Has anyone ridden these lately? I hit them earlier this year after I heard they were legit to ride but now I think that may have just been a rumour.
johnny

Postby crrimson » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:58 pm

I've still never ridden them. I would like to just for the sake of curiosity.
crrimson

Postby DL1030 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:38 am

The last update I heard wasnt all great news but nothing has been finalized. We are basically going to be allowed to use the land that is west of the paved trail by applebees, north of the creek, and east of camp cardinal. We were not able to get access to Mormon handcart area or south of the creek (including rotary park) just yet. Plans also include expansion from camp cardinal towards the mall on the north side. slow slow super slow moving. From my experience; stay out of rotary park, yield to pedestrians and all is good. The creek is killer fat territory as well, 85% sand and small rocks.
Are you dumb and depressed, ride a mountain bike!
DL1030

Postby Rage » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:55 pm

johnny wrote:...I heard they were legit to ride but now I think that may have just been a rumour.

Legit that access has been approved, but approved development won't start until next spring. Existing trails are still unapproved.

Rg.
Mean people suck.
Rage

Postby Vibrato » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:48 pm

Well, that's too bad. I was gonna roll a fatty on the way back to the QC.
Vibrato

Previous

Return to Meet & Greet / Lounge / Chit Chat